Cassata Cake31 Reviews
“Cassata cake is like a cannoli but more gooey. You need 2 - 9 inch sponge cake layers for this recipe. The instructions are given for to make them, or you can use your own recipe.” - by Kevin Ryan
Original recipe yields 1 -9 Inch cake
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease and line with parchment paper 2 nine inch round layer pans.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- Separate the eggs and set the egg whites aside. Beat the egg yolks together on medium-high speed until very thick, about 4 minutes. Gradually add the cold water. Add 1- 1/4 cups of the white sugar, slowly, and beat well for about 3 more minutes. Add 1 teaspoon of the vanilla. Sift the flour mixture over the egg yolk mixture and fold in.
- Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar together until stiff peaks form. Fold this into the yolk mixture. Divide batter between the pans.
- Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 25 minutes. Cool on rack for 10 minutes and then invert and cool completely.
- Cut each cake layer in half. Place one of the 4 halves on a cake board or plate and sprinkle with a little of the Rum Syrup. Spread about 1-1/2 cups of the Filling over this layer. Add a second layer of cake and repeat this procedure. Top the cake with the last layer of cake. Chill at least 4 hours. Spread Chocolate Glaze over top of cake.
- To Make Ricotta Cheese Filling: Beat the ricotta cheese well and add the confectioner's sugar and cinnamon. Add 1-1/2 teaspoons of the vanilla and grate 2 ounces of the chocolate in using the coarse side of a grater. Stir in the candied lemon peel and mix. Chill until ready to use.
- To Make The Rum Syrup: Place 1/3 cup of the sugar and the water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Boil 1 minute and then remove from heat and add the rum. Cool to room temperature.
- To Make The Chocolate Glaze: Melt 6 ounces of the chocolate and the cream in the microwave, whisk smooth. Add the butter and whisk until dissolved. Cool mixture until spreadable. Spread over the top of the cake.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 601 cal
- 23.6 g
- 84.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (31)Rate This Recipe
"This recipe is GREAT as I said in my first review. Perfect cassata cake that is even better than any NYC Italian bakery I have ever tasted because it is not sickly sweet and made with fresh filling r..." See moreather than bagged pre-made filling. ***BUT*** DO NOT use the chocolate glaze for the top...I always use the whipped cream frosting (made with a teaspoon of gelatin) from this website. I have never seen nor have I had Cassata cake with chocolate glaze. The combination of this cake with that frosting is PERFECT!!! =)"
"This was a fantastic cake. Every year I purchase a cassata cake from a local italian bakery for my dad for father's day. This year I decided to give it a try on my own. He absolutely loved it. I d..." See moreid make a few substitutions based on the cassata cakes that we have enjoyed in the past. I substituted mini chocolate chips instead of the grated chocolate & I omitted the candied lemon peel. I also left off the chocolate glaze (I have never seen this on a cassata cake) and instead substituted a whipped cream frosting, also from this website. I also used a vanilla flavored light rum for the filling. My entire family loved this one, I'll definitely make it again."
Italian Cream Cake I
Green Tea Layer Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.