Coconut Layer Cake15 Reviews
“This is a light and beautiful cake.” - by Carol
Original recipe yields 2 -9 inch layers
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease two 9 inch round layer cake pans.
- Separate eggs reserve 2 of the egg whites for the frosting. Cream shortening, add 1 1/2 cups of the sugar, beaten egg yolks, and 1 egg white; continue beating until well combined.
- Sift flour with baking powder and salt, mix with coconut and add alternately with milk and the almond extract to the shortening mixture. Pour batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes. Let cakes cool then remove from pans. Ice with Angel icing and sprinkle with shredded coconut on top and sides of cake after icing.
- To Make Angel Icing: Place the 2 egg whites, 3/4 cup white sugar, corn syrup, water, cream of tartar and salt in a double boiler over hard boiling water. Start beating right away with a beater until the mixture stands in stiff peaks. Remove from heat and add vanilla or your choice of flavoring and keep beating until it is thick enough to spread easily. Spread over cooled cake.
Amount Per Serving (24 total)
- 233 cal
- 8.4 g
- 36.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (15)Rate This Recipe
"Great cake! Made it for a 50th anniversary party and the wife-a real coconut lover-said it was the best cake she had tasted. She shared it with another friend and she wants the recipe too. I did re..." See moreplace the almond extract with vanilla only because I didn't have any and it tasted great. Great looking too!"
"This cake did not turn out well for me. The almond extract far overpowered the coconut taste I was looking forward to. Probably wouldn't make it again...." See more"
Coconut Cake I
Fresh Coconut Layer Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.