Bolognese Stuffed Bell Peppers191 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 1 hr 20 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 50 min
“This Bolognese filling is spicy, meaty, and creamy. If you're in a hurry you can serve it over pasta instead of filling the peppers, just omit the rice. (If stuffing, orzo makes a great alternative to rice.)” - by KASM75
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a saucepan bring water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until tender and fluffy; set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook and stir carrots and celery until tender. Add ground beef and pancetta, and cook until browned and crumbled; drain off any excess liquid, and return to heat. Add marinara sauce, wine, and red pepper flakes, and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in cream, half of the Parmesan cheese, and rice. Simmer 5 minutes more, or until most liquid has absorbed.
- Place peppers in a shallow baking dish, and fill with beef mixture. Drizzle with remaining olive oil and top with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes in the preheated oven. Serve hot.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 361 cal
- 21 g
- 26.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (191)Rate This Recipe
"This was so delicious! I did make a few changes but nothing too major and mostly at the suggestion of other reviewers: blanched peppers for 3 minutes, added one clove minced garlic to carrot/celery ..." See moresaute, doubled red pepper flakes because we like our food spicy, added some salt and garlic powder here and there, and mixed 2tbsp panko bread crumbs to parm.cheese topping for added crunch. This is definitely going into regular dinner rotation."
"First, I hate bell peppers but really wanted to try this dish, I am soo glad I did. I used 4 red bell peppers and made this exactly as the recipe calls with one addition I mixed panko bread crumbs wit..." See moreh the parmesan cheese topping to give it a light golden crispy taste and look. The presentation was right out any gourmet cook book photo. The taste was out of this world. My brother hates bell peppers and absolutely loved this dish going back for seconds. I will make this often. "
"Lovely combination of ingredients creating a beautiful sauce. Almost a shame to mix it up with rice and stuff it in a pepper, but I'm not complaining! I added onion and garlic to the vegetable mix for..." See more a more classic Bolognese and even tho' I generally prefer bacon over pancetta, in this case I felt it was well worth using the pancetta as it imparts its own, unique flavor - much different from bacon. Having my own marinara on hand that I had put up from my garden was a definite plus. As I always do with stuffed peppers, I parboiled them for a few minutes before I stuffed them and I believe that's a necessary step. The filling is not enough to fill 6 peppers so plan on making more than the recipe states. These were pleasant to prepare as well as to eat - a definitely enjoyable dinner. All the ingredients meld to create a flavor all its own and each ingredient plays an important role. Creative and delicious departure from the classic stuffed pepper."
Cajun Style Stuffed Peppers
Just swipe to see more like this.