Empty Wallet Casserole19 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 1 hr 10 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 30 min
“I came up with this the day before payday, trying to come up with something using only the ingredients I had on hand. Turns out, it's now a favorite anyone who tries it. You can also adjust the ingredients according to what you have in the cabinet and your family's personal tastes. Enjoy!” - by JESLYNN
Original recipe yields 5 servings
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Crumble the ground beef into a large skillet over medium heat. Season with salt, pepper, cumin, garlic, poultry seasoning, and thyme. Cook, stirring to crumble, until evenly browned. Drain, and transfer to a 9x13 inch baking dish, or large casserole dish.
- Arrange 2 layers of sliced potato over the ground beef, seasoning each layer with salt and pepper. Melt butter in the skillet over medium heat, and saute the onions and mushrooms until tender. Spread over the top of the potatoes.
- Stir just enough water into the soup to make it pourable, and spoon over the top of the casserole, making sure to spread out evenly. Scatter the cracker crumbs over the top, and sprinkle with paprika. Cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake for about 1 hour in the preheated oven, until the potatoes are soft. Remove the aluminum foil, and return to the oven to brown the top, about 10 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (5 total)
- 500 cal
- 20.7 g
- 55.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (19)Rate This Recipe
"After tasting it in my head, I didn't like the idea of cumin, poultry seasoning and thyme. So I used cumin, chili powder and oregano. I also added a layer of grated cheddar cheese between and on top..." See more of the layers of potatoes. To keep with the southwest flavors I seemed to be building, I added a can of diced green chiles to the cream of chicken soup. This was a great budget meal and we liked it quite a bit. Thanks Jeslynn!"
"Empty wallet indeed! LOL I only had ONE potato and one can sliced potatos so that's what I used. Topped with Ritz crackers. Very good for a simple dish. Picky hubby polished it off. Right up his alle..." See morey.. meat & taters. Thanks"
"My husband actually said he would rate this 1 1/2 stars, but I was a bit more forgiving. There is way too much poultry seasoning. I think I would cut it in half. I love the basic idea of the recipe..." See more though. Next time I will probably add soem parmesan cheese in the middle and instead of saltine crackers, I will use ritz. But the cooking time was excellent and I personally thought the overall taste wasn't too bad."
Hamburger Potato Casserole
Just swipe to see more like this.