Greek Lemon Cake140 Reviews
“This is a very lovely and light cake.” - by Carol
Original recipe yields 1 -10 inch tube pan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 10 inch tube pan.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, and salt together. Set mixture aside.
- Separate the eggs. In a large bowl beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1/2 cup of the sugar, beating until stiff glossy peaks form. Set aside.
- Cream butter or margarine, 1 1/2 cups sugar, egg yolks, lemon zest, and lemon juice together until fluffy. Add flour mixture alternately with the yogurt to the egg yolk mixture. Gently fold in the egg whites and pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 50 to 60 minutes. Let cake cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to finish cooling. Serves 12.
Amount Per Serving (14 total)
- 380 cal
- 16.1 g
- 53.7 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (140)Rate This Recipe
"This was fabulous! To the below reviewer... OFCOURSE IT WAS LACKING IN LEMON FLAVOR WHEN YOU MADE IT! YOU LEFT THE LEMON ZEST OUT! A KEY INGREDIENT! If people cannot follow a recipe they should n..." See moreot complain about it! Stick to the recipe the exact way Carol wrote it and you will not be dissapointed! Excellent. :)"
"I have changed my mind about this recipe. I followed the suggestions like using half butter and half applesauce, I used lemon yogurt, I doubled the lemon zest and lemon juice and I iced it with lemon..." See more icing and it came out moist and a wonderful lemon flavor. I usually don't comment after I do so many alterations, but this one turned out a real winner with the changes...moist, nice lemon flavor and the lemon icing was the "icing on the cake!""
"I made this today for my 2 year old son's birthday. We wanted something a little lighter to stray away from the heavy Christmas cookies and sweets and this was just right. I used all purpose flour ins..." See moretead of cake flour (omitting 2 tbsp per cup as recommended by this site) and used lemon yogurt instead of plain. It has the right amount of lemon flavor and doesn't need a frosting, I just sprinkled confectioner's sugar over the top. A great cake and one to add to my recipe box for the future, thanks."
Lemon Pecan Pound Cake
Moist Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.