Gone with the Wind Cake24 Reviews
- Cook: 50 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 50 min
“This is a lovely sponge cake that is reminiscent of the Deep South. May be cut into layers and filled and iced with lemon filling, or with whipped cream.” - by Carol
Original recipe yields 1 tube pan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Beat cold water and egg yolks together until mixture makes 1 quart--at least 10 minutes. Slowly add sugar and vanilla to egg yolk mixture, beating for at least 7 minutes more.
- Sift the cake flour, baking powder, and salt together. Fold into the egg yolk mixture.
- Beat egg whites until medium-stiff peaks form. Fold one third of the egg white mixture into the batter to lighten; fold in remaining egg whites. Pour batter into an ungreased tube pan.
- Bake in preheated oven until cake springs back when lightly touched with a fingertip, about 50 minutes. Turn upside down to cool in pan for 1 hour. Loosen sides and coax from pan.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 191 cal
- 1.3 g
- 41.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (24)Rate This Recipe
"great cake! i leearned after baking a few times that in the first 20 minutes of cooking, cake should be cooked at 325 degrees. then the next 30 minutes cook it on 350 degrees. when done, if not cooked..." See more all the way through, cook it for 15 minutes at 350 degrees. turns out moist, soft, and yummy. this is a great cake for eating and is WAY easier than most, especially if you have an electric mixer. the mixer cut the prep time down to 30 minutes! (versus 1 hour without mixer) i am so glad to finally find a recipe that doesn't include "angel food cake mix" i mean, come on! if you want to make a cake, you want to MAKE A CAKE! i never have any cream of tartar in the house so it was a relief that this recipe doesn't require it. since i don't have any cake flour (and can never find any in stores) i substituted it with 7/8 cup all-purpose flour and 2 tablespoons corn starch and it worked great! wonderful recipe, i will make this many times over and over again."
"This tasted great. I like that I only had to use 3 eggs. I would recommend greasing the pan though. Mine stuck and I had to cut it into pieces to get it out of the pan, but it was delicious...." See more"
"I made this cake for my sister's wedding last year. I used the Lemon Filling suggested, frosted with whipped cream, and decorated with yellow pansies. It was light, delicious, and perfect for a beau..." See moretiful spring day! Unfortunately, I didn't save the recipe at the time, thinking I'd find it again easily. I've hunted for months! So glad I found it again!!! It's a keeper!"
Silver White Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.