Plum Cake34 Reviews
“This is a great cake for those who find the usual cakes too filling. This is great for entertaining as well as for the family. If this cake stays more than 24 hours, it should be kept refrigerated.” - by Carol
Original recipe yields 1 9-inch tube pan
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease and flour one 9 inch tube pan.
- Separate the eggs. In a small bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter or margarine with the sugar. Beat in the egg yolks and the lemon zest.
- Stir together the flour and baking powder and then beat the flour mixture into the creamed mixture. Gently fold in the egg whites. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan. There will only be a little over an inch of batter. Arrange the plums, skin side down, attractively over the batter.
- Bake in preheated oven until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool before serving.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 164 cal
- 9.1 g
- 18.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (34)Rate This Recipe
"Thank you for the recipe. The cake was very easy to make. I liked that it was light and not very sweet. I served it reheated with some apple pie ice cream (limited edition from Edy's) and vanilla ice ..." See morecream. Here are some tiny changes I made: 4 eggs instead of 3, because I had one leftover, light brown sugar instead of white sugar, I added some spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and 1 tsp. vanilla. I mixed the lemon zest with the plums instead and coated them with a little bit brown sugar, which made them sweeter and look glossy at the end. I didn't know what a tube pan was, so I used my pie form. It looked pretty (rustic) and I will definetly make it again in the next days, but with asian pears. I will report on how it turned out. Hope that helped. :) Update: I did make a cake with asian pears but I used a new recipe for a walnut pie crust (interesting recipe). Just wanted to let you know that the pears baked beautifully, in case you were curious. I was very surprised how firm they stayed. I expected them to turn out soft and soggy because of their high water content. The flavor was mild."
"I added a struesel topping and added cinnamon and nutmeg to the batter. there was only one problem - I only made one!!!! Everyone loved it and wanted me to make another!!!..." See more"
Plum Blueberry Upside Down Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.