Creamy Potato With Rosemary Soup24 Reviews
“A pureed vegetable soup can be an impressive, easy and affordable first course for an elegant dinner, or even a light dinner on its own with salad and bread.” - by USA WEEKEND columnist Pam Anderson
Original recipe yields 6 to 7 cups
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large, deep saute pan until shimmering.
- Add potatoes, then onion; saute, stirring very little at first, then more frequently, until squash start to turn golden brown, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add butter, sugar and garlic; continue cooking until all vegetables are a rich spotty caramel color, about 10 minutes longer.
- Add cayenne pepper; continue to saute until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute longer.
- Add broth; bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender or traditional blender, puree (adding fresh rosemary)until very smooth, 30 seconds to 1 minute. (If using a traditional blender, vent it either by removing the lid's pop-out center or by lifting one edge of the lid. Drape the blender canister with a kitchen towel. To 'clean' the canister, pour in a little half-and-half, blend briefly, then add to the soup.)
- Return to pan (or a soup pot); add enough half-and-half so the mixture is souplike, yet thick enough to float garnish. Taste, and add salt and pepper if needed. Heat through, ladle into bowls, garnish and serve.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 188 cal
- 10.9 g
- 19.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (24)Rate This Recipe
"This is a great recipe and easy to make. I substitute whole milk (and sometimes 2% milk) for the 1/2 and 1/2. It is so thick and healthy and the fresh rosemary is the perfect addition!..." See more"
"great soup! I made it twice, the first time i wasn't so impressed but my husband loved it. So I made it again and took the time to caramelize the potato and onion (the first time i was in a rush and d..." See moreidn't wait for the color to turn). I think that really help bring out the flavor. I added the rosemary during the saute and additional 1 tsp when i added the stock. I used whole milk instead of half and half. I loved it the second time! will defiantly make again. "
"Excellent soup.... although not as amazing as the Creamy Butternut also offered by Pam Anderson (try it!). I used an immersion blender, and left a few chunks of potato so it seemed like a heartier me..." See moreal. Also, I used half a cup of half&half, and the rest 1%. Still rich and lovely."
Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes
Creamy Butternut Squash With Cinnamon Soup
Just swipe to see more like this.