Creamy Beet With Dill Soup21 Reviews
“A pureed vegetable soup can be an impressive, easy and affordable first course for an elegant dinner, or even a light dinner on its own with salad and bread.” - by USA WEEKEND columnist Pam Anderson
Original recipe yields 6 to 7 cups
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large, deep saute pan until shimmering.
- Add beets, then onion; saute, stirring very little at first, then more frequently, until squash start to turn golden brown, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add butter, sugar and garlic; continue cooking until all vegetables are a rich spotty caramel color, about 10 minutes longer.
- Add caraway seeds and cayenne pepper; continue to saute until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute longer.
- Add broth; bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, until beets are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender or traditional blender, puree (adding fresh dill) until very smooth, 30 seconds to 1 minute. (If using a traditional blender, vent it either by removing the lid's pop-out center or by lifting one edge of the lid. Drape the blender canister with a kitchen towel. To 'clean' the canister, pour in a little half-and-half, blend briefly, then add to the soup.)
- Return to pan (or a soup pot); add enough half-and-half so the mixture is souplike, yet thick enough to float garnish. Taste, and add salt and pepper if needed. Heat through, ladle into bowls, garnish and serve.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 152 cal
- 10.4 g
- 12.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (21)Rate This Recipe
"I decided to make this soup without the cream just to make it slightly healthier and and just used a little more water to thin it out [I also absolutely love the rich colour of this soup}. After blen..." See moreding the whole batch I poured most of it back in the pot but I left a small amount (1/2 cup to 3/4 cup) of soup in the blender and tossed in some roasted garlic goat Chevre (soft white goat cheese) and blended further. I used this as garnish poured into each bowl as the colors contrast well. It was a fabulous soup and I will definitely make it again."
"Made this soup last night, with the following changes: I added a can of crushed tomatoes in place of one cup of chicken broth; I added a dash of hot sauce; I used plain yogurt as an optional garnish, ..." See moreinstead of adding milk (dairy product issue for a family member). We loved it! I have been asked to make it again often. I think it is a great, flexible recipe. Thanks, Pam Anderson."
Fast Chicken Soup Base
Creamy Butternut Squash With Cinnamon Soup
Just swipe to see more like this.