Creamy Parsnip With Ginger Soup30 Reviews
“A pureed vegetable soup can be an impressive, easy and affordable first course for an elegant dinner, or even a light dinner on its own with salad and bread.” - by USA WEEKEND columnist Pam Anderson
Original recipe yields 6 to 7 cups
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large, deep saute pan until shimmering.
- Add parsnips, then onion; saute, stirring very little at first, then more frequently, until vegetables start to turn golden brown, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add butter, sugar and garlic; continue cooking until all vegetables are a rich spotty caramel color, about 10 minutes longer.
- Add ginger, cardamom, allspice and cayenne pepper; continue to saute until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute longer.
- Add broth; bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, until parsnips are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender or traditional blender, puree until very smooth, 30 seconds to 1 minute. (If using a traditional blender, vent it either by removing the lid's pop-out center or by lifting one edge of the lid. Drape the blender canister with a kitchen towel. To 'clean' the canister, pour in a little half-and-half, blend briefly, then add to the soup.)
- Return to pan (or a soup pot); add enough half-and-half so the mixture is souplike, yet thick enough to float garnish. Taste, and add salt and pepper if needed. Heat through, ladle into bowls, garnish and serve.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 177 cal
- 10.3 g
- 20 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (30)Rate This Recipe
"This is simply fantastic -- it freezes well, and warms up nicely for lunch at work. I will make this again!!!..." See more"
"This was an excellent recipe for someone who has never before tried parsnips. I used 1% milk instead of half and half and the soup was still lovely and thick - the perfect food for a snowy winter nig..." See moreht. I will make this again."
Creamy Beet With Dill Soup
Creamy Butternut Squash With Cinnamon Soup
Just swipe to see more like this.