Mam's Black Cake20 Reviews
“This recipe came from my 90-year-old grandmother's handwritten recipe collection.” - by Maggie
Original recipe yields 3 -8 inch round cakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 8 inch round cake layer pans.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the buttermilk.
- Combine the sugar, 3 1/2 cups of the flour, ground nutmeg, ground cloves, ground cinnamon and the butter. Stir in the buttermilk mixture.
- Toss the blackberries and raisins with the remaining 1/2 cup of flour to coat. Mix in the blackberries and the raisins into the batter and stir until evenly distributed. Pour batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center of the cakes comes out clean.
Amount Per Serving (30 total)
- 163 cal
- 3.5 g
- 31.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (20)Rate This Recipe
"This came out great but I did not use raisins. Instead I used 2 cups of blackberries and 2 cups of blueberries. I cups of black berries is definitely not enough. I wasn't really sure about the bla..." See moreckberry and raisin combo. WE all liked this cake with the extra berries. also - I made this is a 9 x 13 pan. took almost an hour to bake. I checked it every 5 minutes after 35 minutes."
"Very good. This is a spice cake with blackberries in but the flavour is very much there. Comparable to Blackberry Yummies, also on this site. The directions are a little haphazard, with ingredients..." See more listed in a totally random order. I melted the butter. I made fake buttermilk with 2 cups milk 2 tbsp lemon juice leave on counter 10 minutes. 1/2 teaspoon cloves (they're strong), 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg. Used 2 9-inch round cake pans instead of 3 8-inch. Glazed with mixture of 4 tablespoons frozen juice concentrate (Passionfruit or something tropical is good) mixed with 1/2 cup or more of confectioner's sugar. Mm!"
"Didn't have any raisins, so I doubled the blackberries. First off, the cake was beautiful. Nice brownish color, with purple ribbons in it. EXTREMELEY moist. More so than I would've expected from the r..." See moreecipe (a good thing). Unfortunately, the blackberries seemed to be lost amongst the spices. Don't know if not having raisins did that, but I would think the raisins would compound the berry-loss even more. Definately worth trying again. Next time I'll cut the spices (at the very least the nutmeg and clove) in half and see what happens. And the part in the description about being taken from Mam's handwritten recipe collection made my eyes moist. I've got a collection of cards from my grandmother, who died a couple of years ago. Sometimes I love pulling them out and making what she made when I was a kid."
Black Magic Cake
Black Joe Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.