Duck and Yellow Rice5 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 50 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 20 min
“This impressive dinner-party dish from Laos will wow your guests; they won't believe how easy it is! Serve a green salad on the side for a unique and flavorful family meal instead. Chicken substitutes well for the duck.” - by Joseph and Joyanna
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- In a large bowl, soak rice in cold water to soak while preparing the rest of the recipe.
- In a small bowl, using the back of a spoon, smash into a paste the garlic, pepper, salt, curry, and turmeric. Drizzle in the soy sauce as you continue to smash. Set spice aside.
- Cut the duck into a dozen pieces, removing the fat and thick skin.
- Drain soaking rice, and set aside. Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a wide pot over medium-high heat, stir in the spice paste, and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in duck pieces; cook about 10 minutes, stirring frequently until lightly browned. Pour in 2 cups water, bring to a boil, and simmer 10 minutes. Pour in remaining water and vegetable oil; return contents to boil. Add rice to pot. Water should cover the rice by 1/2 inch. Return to a boil and cook, covered tightly, 15 to 20 minutes, until rice is tender.
- Remove pot from heat. Let stand, covered, 5 to 10 minutes. Turn out onto serving platter, and garnish with green onions.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 543 cal
- 14.8 g
- 80.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (5)Rate This Recipe
"a whole lot of work for just average results...." See more"
"very easy dish, and the flavor is wonderful. I made it with wild duck which can be a bit gamey but it came out amazing..." See more"
Duck Fried Rice
Cuban-Style Yellow Rice
Just swipe to see more like this.