Elegant Light Fruit Cake2 Reviews
“This fruit cake does not need a ripening period, and is very lovely to look at and eat.” - by Carol
Original recipe yields 3 fruit cakes
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Place a pan of water in oven. Grease thoroughly and line with heavy brown paper one set of tier pans (one 9 inch, one 7 inch, and one 5 inch).
- In a large bowl combine ground almonds and fruits. Dredge with one cup flour.
- In a large bowl, cream together 1 cup flour and shortening. Gradually blend in white sugar. Beat in egg yolks and almond flavoring; beat until very light and fluffy. Mix together brandy and milk; add alternately with 4 1/2 cups flour to creamed mixture. Make 3 dry and 2 liquid additions, combining lightly after each.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar to form stiff but moist peaks. Fold into batter. Fold in floured fruit mixture.
- Bake for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours, depending on size of pan. Bake each cake until it tests done with a toothpick. Remove from pans, and lift off paper. Cool.
Amount Per Serving (36 total)
- 430 cal
- 11.1 g
- 75.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (2)Rate This Recipe
"The low quantity of fat and high amount of flour in this recipe, as well as the whipped egg whites, too long baking time, too high baking temperature and too little liquid, makes a tough, dry fruitcak..." See moree. I wasted over $20 on this recipe. "
Japanese Fruit Cake II
Sharon's Jamaican Fruit Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.