Chiffon Cake36 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 1 hr
- Ready In: 1 hr 30 min
“This is a favorite for children's birthday parties. Serve with fruit or decorate with Butter Cream Frosting.” - by Carol
Original recipe yields 1 tube cake
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Wash a 10 inch angel food tube pan in hot soapy water to ensure it is totally grease free.
- Measure flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into sifter. Sift into bowl. Make a well; add oil, egg yolks, water, vanilla, and lemon flavoring to the well in the order that is given. Set aside. Don't beat.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until very stiff. Set aside.
- Using same beaters, beat egg yolk batter until smooth and light. Pour gradually over egg whites, folding in with rubber spatula. Do not stir. Pour batter into angel food tube pan.
- Bake for 55 minutes. Increase heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and bake 10 to 15 minutes until done. Invert pan until cool.
Amount Per Serving (14 total)
- 264 cal
- 10.2 g
- 38.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (36)Rate This Recipe
"I am a newbie when it comes to cooking, but that doesn't stop my enthusiasm! My first attempt at making this was FIRST CAKE FAIL. It was egg-y, dense, and rather lopsided. The second time I made this ..." See morewas a success! Light, fluffy, and delicious! Some tips for first-timers (of making any cake whatsoever): 1)When separating the eggs, be sure that there are no traces of yolk. Yolk may hinder the fluffiness of the whites. Also, when beating the whites, the highest speed to be used should be medium. 2) Mixing the yolk mixture first may be more beneficial if you tend to be a slow mixer. If the stiffened egg whites sit too long, they begin to "melt" or "re-liquify". 3)When folding the two mixtures together, be sure there are no lumps or streaks. This may sound obvious, but for newbies like me this is important to know. 4) Last but not least, if you're baking in two round pans rather than a big tube pan, watch the cakes carefully as they cook. They are guaranteed to burn or fail if they're in the oven for 55 minutes. I timed the cakes for 20 minutes and checked every ten minutes after that. I think it was a total of 40 minutes to create perfection. ^-^"
"UNBELIEVABLY light & fluffy!!!...otherwise you did something wrong. The result of your egg whites determine how light & fluffy it is, so make sure you beat your egg whites until it's well risen befor..." See moree you add cream of tartar. AWESOME recipe, it didn't smell or taste eggy either. Thank you!!"
Mock Lemon Chiffon Cake
Peppermint Chiffon Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.