Traditional Galaktoboureko3 Reviews
“Great Greek dessert. Lemony semolina custard in a phyllo crust with lemon syrup. The Greek traditional way of making it. I hope you will enjoy it as much we Greeks do!” - by NIKOLETTA
Original recipe yields 12 servings
- Pour the milk into a large saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium-low heat. Remove from the heat. While you are waiting for the milk to boil, beat the eggs, semolina, and 3/4 cup sugar with an electric mixer until well blended. Use a wooden spoon to stir this into the hot milk. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until it just starts to bubble. Remove from the stove, and stir in 2 tablespoons of butter and 1 teaspoon of lemon zest.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter an 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Brush butter onto 6 of the phyllo sheets, and place use them to line the bottom and sides of the baking dish. Pour in the semolina mixture, and spread evenly. Layer the remaining sheets of phyllo dough over the top, brushing each one with melted butter as you lay it on. Sprinkle a few dashes of water over the top. Use a knife to slice through the top layer of pastry in a diagonal pattern.
- Bake for 40 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the crust is golden brown. While the dish bakes, combine 2 cups of sugar, water, and remaining lemon zest in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, and remove from the heat.
- As soon as the galaktoboureko is removed from the oven, pour hot syrup over it. Let it cool before serving. After it has cooled, store in the refrigerator. It will stay good for 4 to 5 days.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 472 cal
- 16.2 g
- 71.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (3)Rate This Recipe
"You'll need at least 10 sheets of phyllo on the bottom, otherwise the custard will just swallow the phyllo. I'd also be sure that the phyllo is overlapping the sides of the pan, not just the bottom, s..." See moreo be sure the dough is large enough. You may also want to cut the custard mixture by 1/3 to get better texture."
"The traditional way to serve this is in rolls, not as a casserole. You roll the custard filling in a sheet of fillo and layer in a baking dish, bake until golden brown and then drizzle the honey mixtu..." See morere over the top. "
Traditional Indiana Persimmon Pudding
Just swipe to see more like this.