Almond Rum Cake4 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 1 hr 30 min
- Ready In: 2 hr
“This is a simple butter cake with almonds on bottom and dark rum sprinkled over the baked cake.” - by Carol
Original recipe yields 1 -10 inch tube pan
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Grease one 10 inch tube pan and sprinkle the almonds evenly over the bottom.
- Separate the eggs. In a bowl, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until stiff. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter with the sugar. Beat in the egg yolks, then the vanilla, almond extract, lemon juice, lemon rind, and milk.
- In another bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Beat into the creamed mixture. Stir in about 1/3 of the egg whites to lighten the batter and then fold in the rest gently but thoroughly. Turn batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) for 1-1/2 hours or until cake tests done when a toothpick inserted neat the center comes out clean. As soon as you remove the cake from the oven, sprinkle the top evenly with the rum. Transfer to a rack to cool. Makes about 14 servings.
Amount Per Serving (14 total)
- 293 cal
- 12.9 g
- 39.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (4)Rate This Recipe
"Not bad but definitely average. The rum flavour is lost...." See more"
"This cake was SOOOOOOOOOOO good. I too adapted it a little more to add more rummy goodness. I left out the lemon zest and juice and added 2 tsp of rum. I also used 6 tbsp of butter and 1/4 cup of e..." See morextra light olive oil in place of the the 2/3 cup butter to lower the saturated fat content of the cake. Finally, I used the previous reviewers recipe for a rum glaze but it made way too much, you probably only need 2 tbsp melted butter, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup white sugar, and 1/4 cup rum (after removing from heat). It was very good moist and addictive!"
"I used the basis of this recipe to make a very rummy cake that came out super good. What I changed: Swap almond extract for equal amounts of rum extract. Leave out the lemon zest. Swap the 2 tsp. lemo..." See moren juice for rum. leave out the almonds & use a rum glaze made with 3 tbsp butter, 3/4 cups brown sugar, 1/4 white sugar, and +-1/2 cup rum of your choice. Dissolve sugar in melted butter, remove from heat and stir in rum. Yum!"
Glazed Almond Bundt Cake
Aunt T's D.W.I. Rum Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.