Secret Cake10 Reviews
“This recipe was given to me by my mom's neighbor, Sharon Kelley. It is the very best chocolate cake recipe I have ever tasted.” - by Patti Roberson
Original recipe yields 1 - 9 x 13 inch cake
- Combine flour and white sugar in a large bowl and set aside.
- Put 1/2 cup buttermilk into a large glass and add baking soda, stir until combined, set aside.
- In medium sauce pan over medium heat combine water, shortening, 1/2 cup butter and 4 tablespoons cocoa. Stir until shortening and butter are melted. Allow to boil over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add chocolate mixture to dry ingredients mix until well combined. Add buttermilk baking soda mixture, stir until blended. Add eggs and mix at medium speed of electric mixer until well blended. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla and mix well. Pour into a 9 x 13 inch pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 minutes.
- To Make Frosting: Combine 1/2 cup butter, 1/3 cup buttermilk, and 3 tablespoons cocoa in medium sauce pan, allow to come to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat and add confectioners' sugar and mix well, add 1 teaspoon vanilla and chopped nuts. Pour over hot cake. Allow cake to cool. The longer this sets the better it gets!
Amount Per Serving (18 total)
- 398 cal
- 17 g
- 60.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (10)Rate This Recipe
"If you bake this cake for 25 minutes, it will fall, should be baked for around 40 minute...." See more"
"I did bake the cake longer, too. It was interesting that the cake seemed to change by the hour. My family loved it! I also froze some and it thawed beautifully...." See more"
Texas Sheet Cake II
The Best Chocolate Cake You Ever Ate
Just swipe to see more like this.