Ravishing Red Velvet Cake69 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 25 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 55 min
“Quick and easy red velvet cake.” - by Julie Dugas
Original recipe yields 1 9-inch layer cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9-inch round pans.
- Beat shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing until fully incorporated. Stir in butter flavoring. Make a paste with food coloring and cocoa and add to the shortening mixture.
- Mix buttermilk, salt, baking soda and vinegar; add to batter alternating with the flour mixture.
- Divide batter into prepared pans. Bake in preheated oven until cake springs back when touched lightly with a finger or tester comes out clean, 20 to 30 minutes. Cook completely on wire rack.
- To Make Cream Cheese Frosting: beat butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Mix until well blended.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 579 cal
- 24.1 g
- 86.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (69)Rate This Recipe
"thanks for everyone who has given my Ravishing Red Velvet cake a chance - I'm sorry to see that some of you did not enjoy your experience. i just thought that i would add a sidenote that i am located ..." See morein south louisiana, where it is extremely humid - perhaps this could be why some have found the cake to be a bit "dry". here in LA, it is quite moist and delicious! perhaps an adjustment to baking time & temp would help for you guys? thanks again! julie"
"Both my husband and I love red velvet cake, however I'm disappointed by the end results for this recipe. I'm puzzled why this recipe calls for butter extract and not vanilla extract. The frosting i..." See mores okay -and perfectly acceptable on a carrot cake or spice cake, but after years of reviewing red velvet cakes, it is a fact that the only frosting that should even be used is a Butter roux frosting (similiar to a butter cream frosting but the butter roux frosting is a cooked frosting) I appreciate your sharing the recipe, but I will not be making this cake ever again."
Red and Green Velvet Cake!
Red Velvet Cake I
Just swipe to see more like this.