Italian Cream Cake II119 Reviews
“Very delicious cake!” - by Cyndi
Original recipe yields 1 - 8 inch round layer cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 8 inch round cake pans.
- Beat egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
- In a large bowl, cream 1/2 cup margarine and shortening till light. Add white sugar, and beat till fluffy. Beat in egg yolks. Stir together flour and baking soda, and add alternately with buttermilk into the creamed mixture; mix well after each addition. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla, coconut, and 1 cup pecans. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. Spoon into prepared pans.
- Bake for 25 to 40 minutes. Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove to wire rack to cool completely.
- Combine cream cheese, 1/2 cup margarine, confectioners' sugar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla in mixer bowl. Beat till smooth. Add coconut if desired. Frost the cooled cake. The remaining 1/2 cup pecans can be stirred into frosting or sprinkled onto the cake after it is frosted.
Amount Per Serving (10 total)
- 967 cal
- 53.3 g
- 116.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (119)Rate This Recipe
"I have a cake business and am constantly looking for good recipes. I decided to try this recipe for an order. I don't care for coconut, so I was going on faith. The customers LOVED this cake! I had su..." See morech positive feedback that I will be using this for future Italian Cream Cake orders. Thanks!!!"
"A co-worker of my husband asked me to bake for her for Christmas and she asked for an Italian Cream Cake. I had never made one, so this is the recipe I settled on. She said she didn't want coconut, ..." See moreso I left it out...but added 1 t. of coconut extract for the flavor. Other than than I made the cake exactly by the recipe. I doubled the frosting recipe because I wanted to be sure that I had enough left over to decorate with..and I had plenty with even some left over. You need a lot just because it's such a tall cake with the three layers. Anyway, she said everyone loved it...and that the frosting was delicious! I even took a picture of it and posted it...I was very pleased!"
"First off, this cake was great! I changed things up a bit, it may be something you might want to consider. The first thing I did differently was instead of round pans I used a 9X13 slab. It was easier..." See more to transport and cut, I was able to get 16 very generous pieces, you could get more if you cut smaller, next time I will. Since this was following Christmas dinner I wanted to lighten things up a little (I dont mean calories here) So I used the cream cheese frosting in the middle, and a thin layer on top (I cut the whole slab in 1/2), and then frosted the whole outside with sweetened whip cream. I think if I frosted the whole thing with the cream cheese it would have been to much for our already stuffed bellies. You will have a bit of leftover creamcheese icing, ice some cookies or something. It was a really good cake, the only reason why I didnt give it 5 stars was because it was a little denser than I would have liked but I did cut the cake in 1/2 while it was still warm so that may have caused a little deflation so I will never know if it was supposed to be like that or if it was my own fault. Probably the latter. It was pretty damn tasty though."
Italian Creme Layer Cake
White Chocolate Cream Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.