Cake Mixes from Scratch and Variations600 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 35 min
- Ready In: 55 min
“A convenient substitute for commercial mixes. Quick, easy, and yummy. Best of all, YOU control the ingredients!” - by Janet
Original recipe yields 1 -9x13 inch cake
- For a Yellow Cake: Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Cut in shortening until fine crumbs are formed. Add eggs, milk, and vanilla. Beat at low speed for 1 minute, then high for 2 minutes, scraping the bowl frequently.
- Pour batter into greased and floured 9x13 inch pan. Bake in preheated 350 degree F oven (175 degrees C) for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Variation for a White Cake: Prepare as for the basic cake except use 3 egg whites for the 2 whole eggs. Whites may be beaten separately and added for a lighter cake.
- Variation for a Chocolate Cake: Add 1/4 cup cocoa powder to the basic cake mix prior to adding the milk.
- Variation for a Spice Cake: Add 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, and 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice to the basic cake mix.
- Variation for a Pineapple Upside Down Cake: Melt 1/2 cup butter in the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Add 2/3 cup brown sugar, stirring into the butter. Arrange pineapple slices in the pan. Top with the basic (yellow cake) mix recipe. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, cool 5 minutes, and invert to serve.
Amount Per Serving (24 total)
- 142 cal
- 5 g
- 22.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (600)Rate This Recipe
"Ok guys - I have a suggestion. I've been using this recipe for a couple of years since our son is allergic to red dye (which ironically, is in almost all commercially prepared yellow cake mixes). I ..." See morehave made the basic yellow cake and also the pineapple upside down cake version. DO NOT use the shortening - use oil instead, and you will get a much lighter cake which is not dry and dense. I have tried it with shortening and with the oil, and hands down, the oil version wins. I also increased the milk to 1 1/2 cups instead of 1 cup (or 1 cup milk and 1/2 cup pineapple juice if using the upside down cake version). VERY good with the tweaked changes, so I'm going ahead and giving it 5 stars. Hope this helps. :o)"
"I'm giving this 4 stars because of the adjustments I made. I just tried the white cake variation, except I used oil instead of shortening and I used cake flour instead of all-purpose. I recommend us..." See moreing cake flour as I makes it more fluffy and tender. If you're going to use all-purpose, sift it, then measure it out. This takes care of the density problem some reviewers have had. Also, I didn't follow the directions. When making cakes, you don't want to disturb the flour too much, otherwise it forms gluten strands which toughens the cake, and it comes out to be more like a bread. Here's what I did: In a large bowl, combine oil milk and vanilla. In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks are formed (room temperature is best). Gradually add flour mixture to wet ingredients until just blended. Fold in egg whites and pour the batter into the dish immediately. Mine baked for about 30-35 minutes. Combining the ingredients that way made it come out tall, fluffy, tender, moist, and full of flavor! "
"I'm a cake decorator, and I've been using this cake mix recipe for years. It is the absolute best tasting cake in any of it's flavor variations. Anyone who had trouble with this recipe either 1) did..." See moren't have fresh baking powder or 2) didn't realize that from scratch cakes do NOT look and taste like boxed mixes (and that's a GOOD thing). I recommend using butter flavor shortening and only use real vanilla."
Snickerdoodle Cake I
Four Egg Yellow Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.