Japanese Fruit Cake I2 Reviews
- Prep: 50 min
- Cook: 25 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 15 min
“Great for Christmas!” - by Cathy
Original recipe yields 1 - 9 inch 3 layer cake
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease and flour three 9 inch round cake pans.
- Cream together butter, 2 cups sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture alternately with milk into egg mixture. Divide batter into 3 parts. Fill two pans with plain batter. Add spices, raisins, and nuts into remaining batter, and pour batter into third pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until done. Cool layers on wire racks.
- Mix together orange juice and rind, 2 cups coconut, 2 cups sugar, boiling water, and cornstarch in a 2 quart pan. Bring to a boil, and cook until mixture falls in lumps from a spoon. Put layers together with filling, placing spiced layer in the center. Ice cake with Seven Minute Frosting, and cover with remaining coconut.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 953 cal
- 40.8 g
- 143.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (2)Rate This Recipe
"not good..." See more"
"Interesting concept, but didn't work well at high altitude. It probably took nearly an hour to get the filling to thicken - and then only after I added another teaspoon of cornstarch. By the time it..." See more was thicker and I was filling the layers, it turned to granules as it cooled in the pan! What a lumpy mess! And, after burning my finger on the filling as it was spooned out of the pan, there was no way I was going to attempt making a 7-minute frosting - another potential "boiling" fiasco, too! I used the Allspice Cream Cheese Frosting recipe from this website and it worked just fine. At least it *looked* okay... The cake was actually very dry and crumbly. Cutting it was another story - with the rock-hard "filling" in between the layers, it's nearly impossible to cut without a hammer and chisel. However, it tastes okay. Just definitely not worth 5 stars!"
Japanese Fruit Pie
Fruit Cocktail Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.