Sweet Potato Cake9 Reviews
“A spicy layer cake. Good with buttercream frosting.” - by Julie
Original recipe yields 1 - 9 inch layer cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two 9 inch round cake pans.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, and ginger.
- Mix together buttermilk, potatoes, and raisins in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl, cream butter or margarine. Gradually add white and brown sugars, creaming until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition. Beating only until smooth after each addition, alternately add dry ingredients in fourths and potato mixture in thirds to creamed mixture. Turn batter into prepared pans, and spread evenly.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until cake tests done. Cool, and remove from pans. Frost as desired.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 356 cal
- 8.9 g
- 66.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (9)Rate This Recipe
"Wow! This was a pleasant surprise. It tastes a lot like carrot cake, but different enough that you can tell it is _not_ carrot cake - prompting enquiries of, "What the heck is in here?" No one ever..." See more guesses potatoes! This takes about 2 or 1.5 regular sweet potatoes. The batter is wonderful and will make a cake with two layers nicely. Mine did sag a bit in the middle after cooling but were still great. I frosted with Caramel Frosting, which I just realised now I forgot to add the vanilla to. A chewy moist cake that keeps well."
"I made this cake twice and each time the people I served it to said it was delicious and moist. I didn't make them in two separate pans but in a single 9" spring form pan and baked it for 40 minute..." See mores instead of 30 minutes. Another thing I did do the second time around was whisk together the mashed potato and the milk to blend it more evenly as the first time the potato was more clumpy. I also reduced the white sugar to 1/2 a cup as I found it a bit too sweet."
"Cake turned out light, moist, and delicious. I didn't have dark brown sugar on hand so I used light brown. Couldn't find the allspice so I used nutmeg instead. I increased the amount of sweet potatoes..." See more to 1 1/2 cups and added a cup of sour cream for extra moistness. I frosted the layers with cream cheese frosting. This cake has the perfect texture with just the right level of spice. This one's a keeper."
Sweet Potato Pie II
Fruit Cocktail Cake with Sweet, Buttery Sauce
Just swipe to see more like this.