Boston Cream Pie I56 Reviews
“A rich creamy dessert also known as Boston Cream Cake. It is a wonderful combination of yellow cake, custard and chocolate glaze.” - by Nancy D.
Original recipe yields 1 -9 inch layer cake
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9 inch round cake pans. Sift the all-purpose flour, cake flour, baking powder and salt together and set aside.
- In a deep bowl cream 6 tablespoons of the butter with 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the 2 eggs, one at a time, then beat in the 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture alternately with the 1/2 cup of the milk in 3 additions, Beating the batter smooth after each addition. Divide the batter between the 2 prepared pans.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 15 minutes or until cakes begin to shrink away from the sides of the pans and centers spring back when lightly touched. Turn the cakes onto wire racks to cool.
- To Make The Filling: Combine the 1/2 cup light cream with 1/4 cup of the milk and cook over medium heat until bubbles begin to form around the edge of the pan. Immediately add 1/4 cup of the sugar and the salt, stirring until dissolved. Remove the pan from the heat.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup of the milk with the cornstarch and whisk to remove lumps. Whisk in the 2 eggs. Add the hot cream mixture in a thin stream, whisking constantly. Return to the mixture to the saucepan, bring to a boil, and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the custard thickens and is smooth (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in the 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and allow to cool to room temperature.
- To Make The Chocolate Frosting: In a heavy saucepan over low heat, stir the chocolate pieces and 2 tablespoons butter until they are completely melted. Remove from the heat and, stirring constantly, add the 1/4 cup light cream in a thin steady stream. When mixture is smooth, stir in the confectioners' sugar and beat vigorously. Stir in the 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.
- To Assemble Cake: Spread the cooled filling over one the cooled cakes and place the second cake on top. Pour the chocolate frosting evenly over the top allowing it to spill down the sides.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 325 cal
- 15.1 g
- 43.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (56)Rate This Recipe
"This cake was delicious! I must admit that I made the process easier by bypassing the "cake from scratch" part and substituted a Duncan Hines Yellow cake mix instead ... much easier and I'm sure just..." See more as yummy. I did have trouble trying to figure out what "light cream" was. Didn't have anything like that in my grocery store ... I ended up buying something called "table cream" which turns out to be light cream with some sodium. I ommited the pinch of salt for the filling since cream already had. Otherwise, the icing was superb and it was easy to put together!"
"My family says this is the best cake they have ever eaten! Instead of making the cakes by scratch I cheated and used box cake mix. I also cut each layer in two so there are 4 layers of cake and 3 la..." See moreyers of custard. Marvelous!!"
"I made this to take to work as a going away treat for a friend moving to Boston. I cheated and made a yellow cake mix in a sheet cake pan, turned it out, and (once it cooled) cut it in half with a pi..." See moreece of string down the center. I then put the bottom half back in (carefully!) and made this cream recipe, I had to quadruple it to get enough, but it was very good. I then put the top half of the cake on, and made a triple batch of this glaze and poured it on top. I had to add a little extra powdered sugar though to cut the tart semisweet taste. After the glaze hardened in the fridge I took some of the custard/filling I had saved, put it in a baggie, kneaded it with my hands, snipped off a corner and then drizzled it over the top of the cake to make it prettier. The end result, it was delicious and beautiful! Tasted just like from a restaurant only it served way more people. A coworker loved the custard filling so much, she ate four pieces (ha ha!) Thank you for the recipe!"
Boston Cream Pie Minis
Shauna's Boston Cream Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.