Spicy Black Bean Cakes200 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 15 min
- Ready In: 35 min
“These baked black bean cakes are easy to make and less fat than fried cakes.” - by CHRISTINA5362
Original recipe yields 8 patties
- To prepare lime sour cream, mix the sour cream, lime juice, 1 small minced jalapeno, and salt together in a small bowl. Cover, and refrigerate.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Cook green onions until softened, about 1 minute. Stir in garlic, 2 diced jalapenos, and cumin; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Transfer contents of skillet to a large bowl. Stir in black beans, and mash with a fork. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix in sweet potatoes, egg, and bread crumbs. Divide into 8 balls, and flatten into patties.
- In the oven, set cooking rack about 4 inches from heat source. Set oven to broil. Lightly grease baking sheet with 1 tablespoon oil.
- Place bean patties on baking sheet, and broil 8 to 10 minutes. Turn cakes over, and broil until crispy, about 3 minutes more. Serve with lime sour cream.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 219 cal
- 6.7 g
- 31.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (200)Rate This Recipe
"Overall good recipe with a few adjustments. I read all the reviews and combined thier advice. I halved the recipe and made smaller patties, 10 in all. I also added diced red pepper, cilantro, green ch..." See moreiles, and chili powder. To the sour cream sauce, I added red pepper and cilantro to give it a nice color. Also I found that searing the patties made them stay togther better. And don't forget to microwave the sweet potato as stated"
"Very, very good. Try these, they are worth it -- quick, good, and healthy. Don't skip the lime sour cream -- it goes great with the cakes. I microwaved the grated sweet potato for 1 minute before m..." See moreixing in because I wasn't sure how well it cook in the broiler. Watch the time -- it did not take as long for me as it says."
"This is my all-time favorite meatless recipe. DO NOT pre-cook the yams; you don't want a mushy cake. DO brown very well (just don't burn them like I keep doing); the thinner you make them, the easier...." See more It seems that the lack of flavor noted by others comes from UNDERCOOKING the patties. breadcrumbs, or gluten-free breadcrumbs. For a gluten-free version, I have used quinoa instead of **And here is how I ADORE the sour cream topping: leave out the jalapeno, add a generous sprinkling of salt and extra lime juice, as well as some of the lime ZEST! and garnish with, or mix in, chopped cilantro. No blandness here."
Spicy Black Bean Salad
Homemade Black Bean Veggie Burgers
Just swipe to see more like this.