Burnt Sugar Chiffon Cake9 Reviews
- Prep: 40 min
- Cook: 1 hr 5 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 45 min
“A caramel-flavored chiffon cake.” - by Ellen
Original recipe yields 1 9- or 10-inch tube cake
- To Make Burnt Sugar Mixture: Melt 1 cup white sugar in a pan till medium brown. Slowly stir in 1/2 cup boiling water.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees (165 degrees C).
- Sift together into mixing bowl the flour, 1 1/2 cups white sugar, baking powder, and salt. Form a well in the dry ingredients and add the vegetable oil, egg yolks, burnt sugar mixture, cold water and vanilla. Beat with wooden spoon until smooth.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in large bowl until they hold very stiff peaks. Pour egg yolk mixture in a thin stream over egg whites. Fold in gently. Pour batter into an ungreased tube pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 65 to 70 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 361 cal
- 11.9 g
- 58.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (9)Rate This Recipe
"This recipe is identical to one of my mothers. It made me a hero at my OLDER brother's 60th birthday party! NOTE: Burnt sugar syrup should be cooled to room temperature before adding to egg yolk mi..." See morexture."
"This cake was exremely moist. The flavor was excellent, very different. Next time I plan to use a carmel glaze to compliment it...." See more"
Yellow Angel Food Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.