Moist Lemon Poppy Seed Cake29 Reviews
“This cake is so rich and moist you will want to make many batches. It's great for gift giving! This cake will last one week at room temperature or in the refrigerator and it freezes well. Try it sliced and toasted!” - by MARBALET
Original recipe yields 1 -9 x 5 inch loaf cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour one 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- Sift together the flour, 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons white sugar and salt. Then mix in the lemon peel, poppy seeds and butter. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- In a saucepan over low heat; cook 3/4 cup white sugar and the lemon juice until stirring until sugar is dissolved. Let cool to just warm or to room temperature.
- Remove the cake from the oven and place the pan on a wire rack-place a cookie sheet underneath this rack. Prick the top of the cake several times with a toothpick. Brush the top of the cake with the warm or room temperature syrup, allowing lots of the syrup to run down and soak into the sides and bottom of the cake. Cool slightly in the pan before removing the cake to the wire rack to cool completely. When completely cooled, wrap the cake in foil or plastic freezer wrap and let the cake rest at least one day before serving to your guests.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 447 cal
- 23.9 g
- 54.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (29)Rate This Recipe
"Good cake but thought it could use some work. My husband and I found it to be a bit too lemony. With so many eggs, I should have known before making it that it would be like a pound cake in taste an..." See mored texture. Next time I make this I will skip the lemon zest and lemon syrup and just use almond extract. I thought the syrup made it a little mushy in texture instead of moist."
"This was exactly the lemon poppy seed cake I've been looking for. I like the pound cake texture, never had a light fluffy lemon poppy seed cake, just pound cake textured. I used the lemon juice from t..." See morehe lemon I zested and the rest bottled. Next time I will use all fresh squeezed. I also only used 4 eggs because we use jumbo. You definitely have to wrap this, refrigerate and rotate so the syrup works it's way through the entire loaf. I put this out at work and it was gone in the blink of an eye. Thank you for a classic."
Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake
Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf
Just swipe to see more like this.