Cannoli Cake Roll71 Reviews
“A decadent and rich jelly-roll style cake. Makes a wonderful showcase, well worth the effort!” - by shirleyo
Original recipe yields 1 -15 inch cake roll
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease one 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 inch jelly-roll pan and line with parchment paper.
- Separate the eggs. In small bowl, with mixer at high speed, beat egg yolks, vanilla, and 1/4 cup granulated sugar until very thick and lemon colored, about 5 minutes. Set beaten yolk mixture aside.
- In large bowl, with clean beaters and with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt until soft peaks for. Beating at high speed, gradually sprinkle in 1/4 cup granulated sugar until sugar dissolves and whites stand in stiff peaks.
- Transfer beaten egg yolks to another large bowl. With rubber spatula, gently fold beaten egg whites into beaten egg yolks, one-third at a time. Sift and fold flour, one-third at a time, into egg mixture.
- With metal spatula, spread batter evenly in pan. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 10 minutes or until top of cake springs back when lightly touched with finger.
- Meanwhile, in a cup, mix 2 tablespoons orange liqueur with 1 tablespoon water and 1 tablespoon sugar until sugar dissolves.
- Sprinkle clean cloth towel with confectioners' sugar. When cake is done, immediately invert hot cake onto towel. Carefully peel off parchment paper and discard. Brush cake with orange-liqueur mixture. Starting from a long side, roll cake with towel jelly-roll fashion. Cool cake roll, seam side down, on wire rack until completely cool, about 1 hour.
- To Make Ricotta Filling: In food processor, with knife blade attached, blend the ricotta cheese, cream cheese, 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and cinnamon. until smooth. Transfer filling to bowl and stir in 1/4 cup of the chocolate pieces. Cover and refrigerate filling while cake cools.
- Assemble Cake: Gently unroll cooled cake. With metal spatula, spread filling over cake almost to edges. Starting from same long side, roll cake without towel. Place rolled cake, seam side down, on platter.
- To Make Frosting: In small bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat whipping cream and 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar until soft peaks form. With rubber spatula, fold in 2 tablespoons orange liqueur and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. With metal spatula, spread whipped-cream frosting over cake. Refrigerate cake at least 2 hours before serving. Sprinkle top of cake with chopped pistachios and chocolate pieces just before serving.
Amount Per Serving (15 total)
- 229 cal
- 10.8 g
- 26 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (71)Rate This Recipe
"For dessert recipes that use ricotta, I have found that it's essential to have two things: 1)the very best quality ricotta, and 2)all excess moisture drained, using cheesecloth and a strainer. This wi..." See morell give your cannoli cream the texture you want. Just put cheesecloth, a few layers thick, into a strainer or colander, put your ricotta into it (make sure you have it in a bowl to catch the water), and let it drain for an hour or so in the fridge. You should get a nice, dense consistency to the ricotta."
"This cake is absolutely wonderful. Everyone loves it and it makes a great presentation for special events. It is time consuming to put it together but it's not difficult and it's worth the effort. Alt..." See morehough it's not a quick recipe, the directions are easy to follow."
"This is a very impressive cake to serve to our friends who love the real cannoli!! Everyone was quite impressed with the flavor and appearance. I, too, found the filling to be a bit too runny so ..." See moreI sprinkled some white chocolate pudding (instant) into the mixture until it thickened to a spreadable consistancy. This also gave it another dimension of flavor. (I did the pudding "trick" the second time I made the cake. The first time I increased the amount of cream cheese to 8oz which also helped--but the pudding "trick" works the best!!) I'll definitely make this again and again."
Pumpkin Roll Cake
Angel Food Cake and Strawberry Cream Roll
Just swipe to see more like this.