New York Knish - Yo!4 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 40 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 10 min
“Looking for that New York knish? Well, this is pretty darn close! This will take you right back to the streets of New York!” - by CATHYNAN
Original recipe yields 12 pastries
- Place potatoes into a pot with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook until tender. Drain, and set aside.
- While the potatoes are boiling, heat 1/4 cup butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in onions, and cook until soft and translucent.
- In a large bowl, mash the potatoes until smooth. Mix in onion and butter mixture, crumbled bouillon, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a baking sheet.
- Layer 3 sheets of phyllo dough one on top of the other, and cut this triple-layered sheet in half. Drop one spoonful of potato mixture into each phyllo piece. Roll dough around mixture, tucking ends under. Repeat this step with remaining sheets of phyllo dough to make 12 knishes. Brush with remaining 1/4 cup butter, and place on baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated oven 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 232 cal
- 9.5 g
- 32.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (4)Rate This Recipe
"I knew the crust wouldn't be the same by using phyllo dough...but the inside was salty and the whle thing was way too greasy. The other knish recipe on this site is way closer to a real NY style knis..." See moreh."
"I used light earth's balance non hydrogenated margerine in the potato mixture, I added half the amount of salt. I made this into one very long knish instead of individual ones. I sprayed PAM in betwee..." See moren the filo dough layers instead of using butter. I wet the outside rim all around the knish with water and then pressed the top rim into the botom rim with a wet fork - so that it will be imprinted into the dough. I sprayed the top with pam and sprinkled it with toasted sesame seeds. I served this with "Mushroom Sauce" from this site."
Mashed Potatoes with Fried Mushroom, Bacon, and Onion
Planked New York Strip Steak with Grilled Veggies
Just swipe to see more like this.