Strawberry Shortcake287 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 20 min
- Ready In: 50 min
“An old fashioned, tender shortcake with two layers of strawberries topped with whipped cream.” - by Denyse
Original recipe yields 8 inch round cake
- Slice the strawberries and toss them with 1/2 cup of white sugar. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Grease and flour one 8 inch round cake pan.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, 2 tablespoons white sugar and the salt. With a pastry blender cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center and add the beaten egg and milk. Stir until just combined.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool partially in pan on wire rack.
- Slice partially cooled cake in half, making two layers. Place half of the strawberries on one layer and top with the other layer. Top with remaining strawberries and cover with the whipped cream.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 430 cal
- 21.4 g
- 55.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (287)Rate This Recipe
"For those of you who are having a problem with the baking powder taste it is probably because you are using baking powders that contain aluminum. Baking powders that don't contain aluminum sulfate in..." See more the ingredient list usually don't have that after taste. Rumford is the only major brand that I know of that doesn't contain aluminum."
"I also changed the recipe as others - reduced the baking powder to 2 tsps.- changed the shortening to butter and increased it to 1/2 cup - increased the sugar to 1/4 cup and added 1 tsp. vanilla extra..." See morect. I also used half&half milk for a richer taste. This recipe is the old-fashioned version of short cake. It has a taste very much like scones. I hope these suggestions help others - put all your dry ingredients in a bowl and use a whisk to blend the ingredients. Have your butter at room temperature. I used a wired pastry blender to mix - the texture will be "fine" & feathery - not coarse. Make a well and add your wet ingredients and combine just until they come together. As with any biscuit recipe you don't want to over work it or your dough gets tough. I "floured" my hands with confectioner sugar and separated my dough into 8 equal mounds -then rolled each mound in the powdered sugar and fashioned into a biscuit. I allowed an inch around each biscuit as they will get larger as they bake. This recipe will make 8 "catshead" (large) biscuits. For the BEST whip cream - use heavy (or whipping) cream - to 2 cups heavy cream add 1 tsp. vanilla ext. and during the whipping add 1/2 cup powdered sugar. I made 55 shortcakes for a ladies lunch - Big Success!"
"Do reduce the baking powder to 2 tsp. This is a dry shortcake, but I think many of the people who were disappointed in it expected a sponge-cake-like shortcake, instead of the biscuit variety. These..." See more are supposed to be dryer, and get their moisture from the strawberry juice and whipped cream served with them."
Buttermilk Strawberry Shortcake
Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake
Just swipe to see more like this.