Quick Sausage and Bell Pepper Calzones28 Reviews
“Go deep this Super Bowl Sunday: Serve calzones. These Italian turnovers are perfect 'finger food' -- no knife and fork required. And because the recipes use refrigerated rolls, it's an easy score. All you have to do is make the fillings.” - by USA WEEKEND columnist Pam Anderson
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Separate rolls onto a cornmeal-sprinkled work surface. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest while preparing filling.
- Fry sausage in a 12-inch skillet, breaking it up into small bits with a spoon, until it loses its raw color, about 5 minutes. Depending on the amount of fat in the pan, drain or add oil to equal about 2 Tbs. Add onion and peppers; saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic. Transfer to a bowl. Cool to room temperature; stir in cheeses and optional parsley.
- Adjust oven rack to center position and heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Sprinkling with cornmeal as necessary, roll out each roll into a 7-inch circle. Spoon a scant 1/2 cup of filling just below the center line, leaving a 1-inch border along the bottom half of the dough circle. Spoon filling just below the center line of the circle of dough, leaving a border along the bottom half of the circle. With wet fingertips, moisten the bottom border. Fold dough over filling and press edges together. Thoroughly seal by using fingertips to crimp and flute the edges or by pressing with the tines of a fork. Place on a large cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. (At this point, can be frozen up to 2 weeks.)
- Brush tops with oil. Bake until golden brown, about 16 minutes (longer if frozen). Let cool slightly and serve with warm marinara sauce.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 400 cal
- 24 g
- 28.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (28)Rate This Recipe
"These were delicious! I will make them again. I used pizza dough instead of rolls and I think I will continue to do that...." See more"
"This recipe is great, but it is certainly not quick. The filling is no problem, but rolling the dinner rolls is a pain. I will make again but try it using refrigerated pizza crust and making 4 large ..." See morecalzones. (Note: the recipe as stated makes 8 small calzones -- we had two each.) They were a big hit with my husband."
Quick Classic Gazpacho
Macaroni and Cheese with Sausage, Peppers and Onions
Just swipe to see more like this.