Quick Spinach-Ricotta Calzones20 Reviews
“Go deep this Super Bowl Sunday: Serve calzones. These Italian turnovers are perfect 'finger food' -- no knife and fork required. And because the recipes use refrigerated rolls, it's an easy score. All you have to do is make the fillings.” - by USA WEEKEND columnist Pam Anderson
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Separate rolls onto a cornmeal-sprinkled work surface. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest while preparing filling.
- Heat oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; saute until tender and golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Add spinach, garlic and nutmeg; saute, breaking up large clumps with a wooden spoon, until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Add salt and pepper. Transfer to a medium bowl; stir in ricotta. Let cool; stir in remaining cheeses.
- Adjust oven rack to center position and heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Sprinkling with cornmeal as necessary, roll out each roll into a 7-inch circle. Spoon a scant 1/2 cup of filling just below the center line, leaving a 1-inch border along the bottom half of the dough circle. Spoon filling just below the center line of the circle of dough, leaving a border along the bottom half of the circle. With wet fingertips, moisten the bottom border. Fold dough over filling and press edges together. Thoroughly seal by using fingertips to crimp and flute the edges or by pressing with the tines of a fork. Place on a large cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. (At this point, can be frozen up to 2 weeks.)
- Brush tops with oil. Bake until golden brown, about 16 minutes (longer if frozen). Let cool slightly and serve with warm marinara sauce.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 285 cal
- 11.8 g
- 31.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (20)Rate This Recipe
"I didn't find this recipe to be quick, but it was easy. They mini-calzones make a great appetizer and can even be used for dinner. I found 16 minutes cooking time to be too long (burned a batch), so..." See more make sure you keep your eye on them. Overall it turned out to be a great recipe for some extra ricotta I had on-hand, and I plan to make them again."
"My boyfriend & I made this recipe a week or so ago, and it was great. The dinner rolls work great as a casing! I made it again yesterday, only I used broccoli (chopped up & sauteed with the onions) an..." See mored pepperoni, and I added more salt & pepper and put in a little rosemary as well. It was delicious!"
Greek Pizza with Spinach, Feta and Olives
DASH Diet Mexican Bake
Just swipe to see more like this.