Burnt Sugar Cake II21 Reviews
“This is my great grandmother's recipe dated 1938. It is made with caramelized sugar.” - by Lynn
Original recipe yields 2 -9 inch round layers
- Prepare burnt sugar by placing 1/2 white sugar into a heavy skillet over medium high heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon as sugar melts. When it becomes very dark brown, remove from heat, add hot water very slowly and stir until dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees F). Line two 9 inch round baking pans with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together three times.
- Cream the butter or margarine with the remaining 1 1/4 cups white sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs 1 at a time, beating thoroughly after each. Stir in the vanilla and the burnt sugar syrup mixture.
- Add the dry ingredients and milk alternately to the creamed mixture. Beat until smooth. Pour batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 to 30 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (24 total)
- 185 cal
- 6.7 g
- 29.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (21)Rate This Recipe
"I have been looking for this recipe for years. My grandmother use to make this cake. It was my favorite. My grandmother would not measure anything. I don't know how she did it, but the burnt sugar ..." See morecake always came out perfect everytime. Thank you."
"Regarding Hollybells frosting request; A caramel or sometimes called burnt sugar frosting is what I have always used on this and spice cakes. Caramel Frosting V by Carol from this site looks like a po..." See moressible good choice."
Burnt Brown Sugar Cake Sauce
Marble Swirl Pound Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.