Phila Butter Cake2 Reviews
“Here it is, a cake with a ooey gooey buttery topping. Bet it will bring back the memories or make some new ones.” - by shirleyo
Original recipe yields 2 - 9x9 inch cakes
- Combine 1/4 cup white sugar, shortening and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Beat in the egg and mix for one minute or until well blended
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm milk. Add the milk and yeast mixture, vanilla and 2 1/2 cups flour to the shortening mixture. Mix for 3 minutes with a dough hook or with hands.
- Turn dough out on a floured board and knead for one minute. Place dough in a medium size lightly greased bowl, cover and set in a warm place to rise for 1 hour.
- While dough is rising prepare gooey butter topping. Combine the remaining sugar, butter and salt. Add the egg and corn syrup. Mix until just combined. Add the flour, water and vanilla and mix to combine. Set aside.
- Grease two 9x9 inch square baking pans.
- Divide dough into two pieces and place them into the prepared pans. Crimp the edges halfway up the sides of the pans to prevent the topping from running underneath. With a fork poke wholes into he bottom of the dough. Divide the topping into two equal parts and spread over the dough in each pan. Let the cakes stand for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Bake cakes for 30 minutes. Do not overbake, the topping should stay gooey. After the cakes have cooled sprinkle tops with confectioners' sugar.
Amount Per Serving (24 total)
- 287 cal
- 10.6 g
- 45 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (2)Rate This Recipe
"Takes awhile, but its pretty good. I only cooked it for 22 minutes and it was more than done. Very close to the "real" butter cake...." See more"
"EXCELLENT!!!!!!! I have been searching and searching for years for this recipe - honestly years!!!! I found out that it was on Diners, Drive ins and Dives and I replayed the episode to write down the..." See more ingredients and then I was going to try it out. Then my wife sits down and in 10 mintues she found this recipe!!!! I got up the next morning early to make it and Presto the cake was it! I can not tell you how excited I was - I grew up on this cake from the bakery in my town and could never find the right recipe. I have made this cake or cakes that I thought they were over and over again - sometimes I just threw them out without tasting because I knew it was not it. THIS IS IT!!!!!!! THANK YOU SHIRLEYO - THANK YOU!!!!!!"
Honey's Butter Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.