Root Beer Cake I13 Reviews
“A friend sent me this recipe from an old clipping he found in his collection of recipes.” - by Trish
Original recipe yields 1 - 8x12 inch cake
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease and flour one 8x12 inch baking pan.
- In medium bowl, cream the butter or margarine with the sugar until light. Beat in the eggs and root beer extract.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture. Beat in the root beer and mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake at 375 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool then frost with frosting.
- TO MAKE FROSTING: In a medium bowl beat the 1/2 cup butter or margarine, confectioner's, 1 teaspoon root beer extract and pinch salt. Beat in 1 to 3 tablespoons root beer soda to reach desired consistency. Spread onto cooled cake.
Amount Per Serving (15 total)
- 283 cal
- 13.1 g
- 39.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (13)Rate This Recipe
"This was better and moister than one I made from Food Network. I actually baked them in 12oz glass rootbeer mugs and made a simple frosting from Dream Whip and 1/2 c. rootbeer. For decoration, I stu..." See moreck a straw in. I will make this again."
"I made cupcakes with this recipe using Milwaukee's own Sprecher root beer and was thrilled with them right up until I took the first bite. In my judgement they are in flavor and crumb more like a ba..." See moresic muffin (the non-cake type). Not moist enough for my liking, nor are they sweet enough. Their saving grace is the frosting, which is to-die-for good, but even then I tinkered with the recipe because it wouldn't have worked for me as written. Since I piped the frosting and needed it to be stiffer, I used a little more powdered sugar than called for and considerably less root beer. At least this awesome frosting picked up the slack for the lifeless cupcakes. They were pretty, no doubt about it, with their swirls of delicately caramel-colored frosting and bits of crushed root beer barrels I sprinkled them with as garnish, but being pretty isn't enough. I am still looking to make a great root beer cake so if I was to use this recipe again I'd probably add another egg, maybe even two, and another 1/2 cup sugar."
Happy Birthday Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.