Chocolate Cake in a Jar I15 Reviews
“Chocolate cake in a jar!” - by Holly
Original recipe yields 2 wide mouth (pint) canning jars
- Sterilize 2 (1 pint) straight sided wide mouth canning jars, lids and rings by boiling for 10 minutes. Keep the lids and rings in the hot water until needed. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C)
- In a small bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking soda and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine butter, water and cocoa powder. Heat and stir until butter is melted and mixture is well blended. Pour into a large bowl.
- Stir in Flour mixture and blend. Add buttermilk, egg and vanilla and beat by hand until smooth. Stir in nuts.
- Distribute evenly into the 2 prepared canning jars. Place the jars on a cookie sheet and bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted deep into center of cake comes out clean.
- Using heavy oven mitts, remove cakes from oven one at a time. Place a lid, then a ring onto the jars and screw them down tightly. Place the jars on the counter and listen for them to "ping" as they seal. If you miss the "ping", wait until they are completely cool and press on the top of the lid. If it doesn't move at all, it's sealed.
Amount Per Serving (2 total)
- 1052 cal
- 44.7 g
- 156.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (15)Rate This Recipe
"My boyfriend is in Iraq and has been for almost a year. I found this recipe and thought I should make it. I made him 2 cake jars and sent them.. He LOVED them, a week and a half later I got a letter..." See more wanting 15 for his friends. They loved them! So if you have a loved one overseas..send this! They will appreciate this!"
"The taste of this cake is great! Just make sure that you use the jars that don't have any "shoulders" and that the sides are straight up and down. Otherwise, the cake will fall ( I know from experien..." See morece.)"
"I make these all the time, because as a single person a whole cake is just too much for me to eat before it goes bad. But these work out great! One jar is just enough for 2 servings and I can eat that..." See more before the cake dries out. Plus, I don't have to turn on the over to bake very often. I usually make 2 or 3 different recipes and that will get me thru at least 6 months. I have given these as presents to folks in nursing homes, college, or away from home for extended periods. I like the idea of sending them to the troops in Iraq a lot! I may just have to do something like that for christmas this year. BTW, you can use any cake recipe that uses baking powder. I have canned banana bread, spice cake, marble cake and many others. Just make sure you never fill the jar more than half full and keep plenty of space between the jars to ensure even baking. Thanks for a great recipe and a great idea for Christmas this year."
One Bowl Chocolate Cake II
Aunt Mary's Chocolate Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.