German Sweet Chocolate Cake I132 Reviews
- Prep: 40 min
- Cook: 30 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 10 min
“This is the favorite at all of our potlucks” - by Cindy Carnes
Original recipe yields 1 - 9x13 inch cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line bottom of 9x13 pan with parchment paper.
- Microwave chocolate and water on high for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Stir halfway through. Stir until all is melted and smooth.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream 1 cup butter and 2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Add 4 egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in chocolate and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk. Beat after each addition until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites on high until soft peaks form. Gently fold into batter. Pour into 9x13 inch pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Cool completely, then frost with coconut-pecan frosting.
- Combine milk, 1 1/2 cup sugar, 3/4 cup butter, 4 egg yolks and 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla in large saucepan. Cook and stir on medium heat for about 12 minutes, or until thick and golden brown. Remove from heat. Stir in coconut and pecans. Cool to room temperature, and spreading consistency.
Amount Per Serving (24 total)
- 430 cal
- 25.4 g
- 48.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (132)Rate This Recipe
"A couple of pointers if you're considering trying this recipe for the first time. ICING-1.) Make the icing FIRST. You're essentially making candy (creamy caramel) with this icing, which means it will..." See more be very hot when done. It takes a LONG time to cool to spreading consistency. If you make it first and then put it to the side, once your cake layers have cooled, it will be ready to spread. 2.) For a nice texture, cut the chopped pecans in a food chopper to small pieces. 3.) Is my icing thick enough? Don't follow the 12 minutes exactly. Instead, stir constantly and remember, think candy. Once the sauce has thickened and begins to come to a soft-rolling boil, it's ready. It should have a creamy caramel look and coat the spoon completely when you dip it and take it out. 4.) Use room temperature egg yolks and mix them well. Cold egg yolks may curdle and cook. You'll see them, they'll be the yellow pieces of rubber swimming around in the sugar mixture. CAKE-5.) Use cake flour and sift the dry ingredients together (take pride in your cake!). 6.) The same ingredients will make and frost a 3-layer 9-inch round cake. 7.) This is a light & moist cake, so remember that the layers will crack easily. Don't worry, just use the icing to "spackle" it back together. Your guests will be too busy licking the cake off "
"This cake turned out really well. I had gotten sick of paying $2.50 per slice at the grocery for German Chocolate cake so thought it was about time I made my own. The sponge is light and moist. The..." See more frosting is yummy and I had to be careful not to eat it all before it went on the cake. Just a word of warning, make sure you seperate the egg yolks really well for the frosting. I got a little white in the mix and ended up with boiled egg type lumps in the frosting. Fortunately they were big enough to pick out and didn't spoil the frosting. The recipe is a little fiddly compared to a standard sponge and take a little while, but the texture makes it worth the time investment. I would recommend making this recipe."
"I used the frosting recipe, but only used 1 C. sugar. This turned out great. The store was out of german choco. squares so I bought a german choco. box cake. I modified it by making it a bundt recipe ..." See more(a more dense cake) by using 1 sm. pkt. instant choco. pudding, 4 eggs, 1/2 C. oil, and 1 C. water. Spread evenly in 2 round pans and bake as instructed on box. I used instant chocolate mousse for the sides and decoration. It gave the cake additional flavor and texture. Who needs ice cream when you have chocolate mousse. "
German Chocolate Cake III
Bo's Best White German Chocolate Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.