Sam's Famous Carrot Cake1440 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 1 hr
- Ready In: 1 hr 40 min
“My Grandfather (Sam) was famous for this cake. Everyone who knew him, knows of his famous carrot cake. He would always have some available for anyone who wanted it. We'll miss him, but his carrot cake legacy will always live on! Enjoy!” - by Brian D'Amico
Original recipe yields 1 - 8x12 inch pan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour an 8x12 inch pan.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk, oil, sugar and vanilla. Mix well. Add flour mixture and mix well.
- In a medium bowl, combine shredded carrots, coconut, walnuts, pineapple and raisins.
- Using a large wooden spoon or a very heavy whisk, add carrot mixture to batter and fold in well.
- Pour into prepared 8x12 inch pan, and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour. Check with toothpick.
- Allow to cool for at least 20 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving (15 total)
- 374 cal
- 18.8 g
- 48.7 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (1440)Rate This Recipe
"This really is the best carrot cake in the world. I changed 3 things: reg. milk + 1 teaspooon lemon juice in place of buttermilk as I was out of it. 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg was added and also I covered..." See more my raisins with orange juice and brought them to a boil, letting them simmer for a couple of minutes. Took them off the heat and let cool. Drained them and added when prompted by recipe. Baked in 3 (9") Cushionaire pans for 25 to 28 minutes. Frosted with 16 oz. cream cheese, 1 stick butter, 1 teaspoon each of almond and vanilla extracts and 32 oz. powdered sugar sifted. I had a carrot cake fan taste this and he said it was the best he's ever eaten. It is! Thank you Brian for this recipe."
"My daughter and I tried 5 different carrot cake recipes to find one suitably delicious for a wedding cake and settled on this one. Even though this site says that the 'Best Carrot Cake Ever' is the be..." See morest, this recipe won out over it as we had a family and friends "taste-off" before we made our final selection. It by far had the most flavor. Not too moist, not too crumbly. At the reception, person after person raved over the cake and asked for the recipe. We had very little left. Just enough so that we could enjoy some the next day. We did make a few minor changes. We omitted the coconut, walnuts and raisins. And increased the carrots to 3 cups."
Chris in Montreal
"Bravo,this is a wonderful recipie...I took a hint from a Gourmet magazine recipie and added grated rind of a lemon. In addition, I made the cream cheese icing with grated lemon rind and lemon juice..t..." See morehis cut the sweetness of the cake and gave it a glorious citrus flavour!!!!!!!!!"
Carrot Cake III
Mom's Carrot Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.