MMMmmm Chocolate Cake15 Reviews
“This is a delicious moist and light chocolate cake. Everyone that's tasted it has had to have the recipe!” - by Denise Nelson
Original recipe yields 1 9x13
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.
- In a saucepan, combine 1 cup water, 3 tablespoons cocoa, 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup shortening. Heat until mixture comes to a boil, then remove from heat. Pour into a large mixing bowl.
- Add sugar, flour, soda, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla. Mix well and pour into prepared 9x13 inch pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Have icing ready when cake comes out of oven.
- To make the icing: In a medium bowl, combine 3 tablespoons cocoa, 1 teaspoon hot water and 1/2 cup melted butter or margarine. Add confectioners sugar, pecans and milk and mix well. You can add more milk to achieve desired consistency, but too much will make cake soggy.
- Frost while cake is hot and icing is still soft.
Amount Per Serving (24 total)
- 328 cal
- 16 g
- 46 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (15)Rate This Recipe
"I baked this in cupcake form and they came up round and crisp at the top, moist and fluffy in the middle. They're just as good, if not better the next day. My guests couldn't stop eating them!..." See more"
"This is a wonderfully tasting, moist and delicious chocolate cake. My entire family raved about this cake. I did a couple of things different- used all butter (no shortening) and used all purpose flou..." See morer instead of self-rising flour. Next time I will only use half of the frosting... I love frosting, but this cake didn't need that much. I might even try a sprinkle of powdered sugar on top instead of frosting all together."
"Okay, the frosting made the very top of the cake taste good, but the rest of the cake was dry, crumbly, and could not possibly be served to a guest. I keep re-reading the recipe, to see if I did some..." See morething wrong, considering the previous review, but I followed it to a tee, and generally have excellent success with cakes."
Old Fashioned Chocolate Cake
Aunt Mary's Chocolate Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.