Texas Sheet Cake IV20 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 20 min
- Ready In: 35 min
“This chocolate cake is made in a jelly roll pan and uses dark cocoa rather than unsweetened chocolate.” - by MAGGIE MCGUIRE
Original recipe yields 1 - 10x15 jelly roll pan
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease and flour jelly roll pan or line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking soda and white sugar. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat 1/2 cup butter, shortening, coffee, and 1/4 cup cocoa until boiling. Stir frequently. Pour chocolate mixture over flour and sugar. Stir in buttermilk, eggs, baking soda and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Spread into jelly roll pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- While cake bakes, prepare frosting. Combine 1/2 cup butter or margarine, milk and 2 tablespoons cocoa in a saucepan. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Beat in confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Spread warm frosting over cake as soon as it is taken from the oven. Cool.
Amount Per Serving (24 total)
- 290 cal
- 12.8 g
- 43.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (20)Rate This Recipe
"Just wonderful! In my opinion, it just isn't authentic Texas sheet cake without the addition of coffee. My husband loves chocolate cake and had never had this before. He said it was the best cake he..." See more'd ever had and now has a new favorite!"
"I made this cake for my husband's birthday. I must say, I was a little disappointed. I followed the recipe exactly as stated. The cocoa powder may have been too old. My husband loves chocolate, and..." See more it just did not have a rich chocolate taste. I most likely will not try again. "
"This was a wonderful recipe. I have made this before but never did use coffee. It was delicious. In response to a previous reader that said the icing hardened before the cake could be spread...when..." See more my cake is done I pull out the rack and leave it right on the rack (with the oven still on) in front of the open hot oven and spread on the frosting at once. Someone had suggested this to me and I've never had a problem with spreading the frosting."
Texas Sheet Cake V
Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.