Secret Midnight Moon Better than Chocolate Sex Cake29 Reviews
“This recipe was modified from several that I found at the Cake Recipe site, some of it is taken from the recipe for Secret Cake, but it has other random ingredients. It's very, very nice, moist and chocolaty. And the name is a random conglomeration of words from the various recipes that I used to come up with this one.” - by GG
Original recipe yields 1 - 9x13 inch cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch pan with cooking spray.
- Combine flour and white sugar in a large bowl and set aside.
- Put 1/2 cup buttermilk into a large glass and add baking soda, stir until combined, set aside.
- In medium sauce pan over medium heat combine water, shortening, 1/2 cup butter and 4 tablespoons cocoa. Stir until shortening and butter are melted. Allow to boil on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add chocolate mixture to dry ingredients and mix until well combined. Add buttermilk baking soda mixture, stir until blended. Add eggs and mix. Add the whiskey and the espresso and keep mixing. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla and mix well. Pour into a 9 x 13 inch pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 minutes.
- To Make Frosting: Combine 1/2 cup butter, 1/3 cup buttermilk, and 3 tablespoons cocoa in medium sauce pan, allow to come to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat and add confectioners sugar and mix well, add 1 teaspoon vanilla and chopped nuts. Pour over hot cake. Allow cake to cool. The longer this sets, the better it gets!
Amount Per Serving (24 total)
- 247 cal
- 12.8 g
- 29.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (29)Rate This Recipe
"I was really scared b/c the batter was REALLY liquidy...so I added a little more flour, but I shouldn't have, the cake was excellent! It really tastes unique and is very moist. Just to reiterate: the..." See more best chocolate cake I've ever had, my favorite recipe on this site. Definitely try making this. Also, whoever said this cake was dense and rich did something very wrong, it's really pretty airy, but it still satisfies chocolate fixes :)"
"first time making from scratch. added 1 extra Tablespoon cocoa powder to recipe & used Mocha expresso. Whiskey did give it a hint of flavor but didn't taste like alcohol. Fantastic! Served with whippe..." See mored cream and raspberries over the top of the frosting. Will definately make again!!!"
"I made this cake last Valentine's Day with hopes of pleasing my chocolaholic boyfriend and also pleasing my best friend's mom (her birthday is on the same day). But instead of doubling the recipe I m..." See moreultiplied it times 5 and had pans all over my kitchen. But the end result was worth it many times over. EVERYONE I GAVE A PAN TO SCRAPED EVERY CRUMB!!! I even got a call from someone's ex-boyfriend (I gave them one of the cakes) this Valentine's Day to ask if I can make the cake for him again this year!!!"
Chocolate Sheet Cake II
Best Moist Chocolate Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.