Surprise Cake57 Reviews
“We make this all the time, company can never guess what is in it!” - by Dawn
Original recipe yields 1 - 9x13 inch pan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, flour and salt. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, bring 1 cup butter, water and 3 tablespoons cocoa to a boil. Remove from heat. Add to flour mixture and beat until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, Mix sour cream, eggs, baking soda and cayenne pepper. Add to the cake batter. Blend well. Pour batter into 9x13 inch pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20 to 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- For the Frosting: Melt 1/4 cup butter, add 1/3 cup cocoa. Add confectioners sugar, milk and vanilla. Mix until smooth and free of lumps.
- Spread frosting on the cooled cake. Cut into squares and serve. Ask your company if they can guess what is in it, they never will.
Amount Per Serving (24 total)
- 248 cal
- 11.4 g
- 36 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (57)Rate This Recipe
"Very good cake like brownies. The only thing I would change is instead of adding water, I would add cold coffee and instead of 1 tsp of cayenne pepper I would decrease it to just 1/2 tsp. The coffee..." See more flavor adds just enough mocha that turns this into a terrific authentic mexican chocolate flavor"
"I was hosting Thanksgiving this year, and found out pretty last-minute that there was a pumpkin shortage, and was really disappointed... until I found this awesome recipe! I was thinking to myself "Se..." See morelf, how great could a cake really be?" and preceded to make and put this thin, none-too-special-looking cake in the over... and, not expecting too much, I took a bite, and melted. This cake is amazing, and everyone LOVED it. (I even had to hide it when my fiance's band members came over, because darn it, I want awesome chocolate cake for breakfast tomorrow!)"
"Very moist, very tasty chocolate cake that has a warmth but there is no way it has any hint of pepper taste. This is a really fantastic cake. The frosting though was runny and I had too add another cu..." See morep or more of powdered sugar and another Tbl of cocoa and a couple more T of margarine to get it to spreading consistency. Thanks this was a great cake!"
Texas Sheet Cake II
Beet Surprise Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.