Angela's Awesome Enchiladas1257 Reviews
- Prep: 45 min
- Cook: 1 hr
- Ready In: 1 hr 45 min
“The secret is in the seasonings! I whipped these up on my own using stuff I had on hand. Shredding the chicken is the most time-consuming step, but it's worth it in the end. Give these babies a try! Serve with sour cream and a side of Spanish rice.” - by MomSavedbyGrace
Original recipe yields 5 enchiladas
- Place the chicken in a large pot and add water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the chicken pieces are no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Shred chicken by placing two forks back to back and pulling meat apart. Set the shredded chicken aside. Meanwhile, combine the cream of chicken soup, sour cream, and chili powder in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, then turn off the heat and cover to keep warm.
- Heat the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the shredded chicken, chopped green chilies, taco seasoning, half of the bunch of chopped green onion, and water. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the lime juice, onion powder, and garlic powder; simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Stir 1 cup of the soup mixture into the skillet with the chicken mixture. Spread the remaining soup mixture on the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Fill each tortilla with chicken mixture. Sprinkle Cheddar cheese over the chicken filling before folding the tortillas, reserving half of the shredded cheese for topping the enchiladas. Fold tortillas over the filling and place seam-side down in the prepared pan.
- Pour enchilada sauce evenly over the enchiladas. Cover with the remaining 1 1/2 cups of Cheddar cheese. Sprinkle the reserved chopped green onions and the sliced olives on top of the cheese. Bake in the preheated oven until filling is heated through and the cheese is melted and bubbling, about 25 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 709 cal
- 36.3 g
- 52.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (1257)Rate This Recipe
"I love this recipe! I have made some changes that make it easier for me on a weeknight: I put the chicken (sometimes I even use frozen-solid breasts or thighs) in a crockpot with the taco seasoning, g..." See morearlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, chopped onion + a little water in the morning. Then when I get home from work the chicken is easily shredded and I add the other filling ingredients to the crock pot and stir it up. Then I just assemble per the directions. I also use green sauce instead of red. This way it only takes 15min to get them in the oven and the meat tastes great from simmering all day in the spices. Thanks Angela!"
"I don't care for the rating system on this site. There are so many bad recipes that get 2 or 3 stars, that the 5 star rating doesn't due this recipe justice. These are the best enchiladas I have ever ..." See moretasted, and my entire family agrees. I have used over 100 recipes from this site, and this is one of the few that is a true 5 star recipe. "
Gerry's Chicken Enchiladas
Grandma Kay's Chicken Enchiladas
Just swipe to see more like this.