Cake in a Jar43 Reviews
“Advice on baking cake in jars. You can use any cake recipe for this.” – by Monica
New! Find ingredients on sale
Tap On Sale, then swipe sideways to choose a store.
Swipe up to check for discounts on each ingredient!
This feature is in beta testing. Thanks for your patience as we improve it!
Add to Shopping List
Add to Shopping List
Original recipe yields 8 pint straight-sided wide-mouth canning jars
- Prepare the cake according to package instructions, or use any cake recipe.
- In pint size, straight-sided wide-mouth jars, put 1 cup of batter in each greased jar. Make sure to keep the rims of the jars clean. Put in preheated oven 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place jars on a cookie sheet to keep from tipping over while baking.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean.
- While they are baking, have your jar lids boiling in a pan of water. When the cake is done, take one jar out at a time and add the hot lid and screw on your jar ring and let set and cool.
- It will seal as it cools. Place the jars on the counter and listen for them to 'ping' as they seal. If you miss the 'ping', wait until they are completely cool and press on the top of the lid. If it doesn't move at all, it's sealed.
- After it cools it will pull away from the jar and when you are ready to eat, open and pop out the cake and enjoy.
- Unsealed jars should be stored in the refrigerator and eaten within 2 weeks. Sealed jars may be stored in a freezer.
Reviews (43)Rate This Recipe
This is a GREAT ideal for anything. I have a son in Iraq and it was his Birthday. I made him this cake in a jar and sent it to him and some of the other soldiers to help him have a cake for his Birthday. It turned out great for him. He loved it so much. Thanks for the help to help the soldiers to have some home cooking from home.
Pug lover EXTREME!!!
this exploded on me!!!!!!!!
I personally tried this recipe for mothers day gifts. It was the biggest hit! I also have my own frosting recipe so I purchased small canning jars with fancy lids and put the frosting in these jars and added them to the gift along with homade tags off the computer and everyone wanted this recipe!!
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 279 cal
- 7.5 g
- 50.5 g
- 2.8 g
- 1 mg
- < 1%
- 425 mg
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet