Green Tomato Cake182 Reviews
“This is a moist, spice-type cake...a good way to use some of those extra green tomatoes before frost hits. Sprinkle the finished cake with confectioners' sugar or frost with your favorite caramel or cream cheese frosting.” - by Glenda
Original recipe yields 1 - 9x13 inch cake pan
- Place chopped tomatoes in a bowl and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon salt. Let stand 10 minutes. Place in a colander, rinse with cold water and drain.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking pan.
- Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and beat until creamy.
- Sift together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, soda and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add raisins and nuts to dry mixture; add dry ingredients to creamed mixture. Dough will be very stiff. Mix well.
- Add drained tomatoes and mix well. Pour into the prepared 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean.
Amount Per Serving (24 total)
- 175 cal
- 6.1 g
- 29 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (182)Rate This Recipe
"WOW! Great cake! The only change I made was to puree the green tomatoes (skins, seeds, everything) drain for 30 minutes and use 2 cups of the puree rather than 4 cups of diced tomatoes. This one is..." See more definitely a keeper!"
"I used 1/2 cup applesauce in place of butter. The cake was delicious, especially with a dollop of vanilla fat free yogurt on top...." See more"
"This is a fantastic recipe. I love it. I did do two things wrong and it still was amazing. I put only two cups of green tomatoes, and secondly I was forgot to skin the green tomatoes and just diced th..." See moreem up really small. The green tomatoes actually are not like red tomatoes and the skins did not come off and were not chewy. In fact I really couldn't tell you where the pulp began and the skin started. Thank you so much!"
Green Tomato Bread
Green Tomato Pie III
Just swipe to see more like this.