Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake46 Reviews
- Prep: 40 min
- Cook: 45 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 25 min
“Strawberries and rhubarb combine to make a sweet, fruity filling in this cake. The crumb topping adds a little crunch; it would probably be good with some nuts sprinkled on top.” - by ARKBUCKS
Original recipe yields 12 servings
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in a large saucepan; stir in rhubarb and strawberries and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook until thickened, about two minutes. Remove from heat, stir in lemon juice, and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13-inch pan.
- Combine 3 cups flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat together eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla in a separate bowl. Stir egg mixture into flour until just moistened. Spoon two-thirds of the batter into prepared pan; evenly spread on the cooled filling, then cover with remaining batter.
- In a small bowl, combine 3/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup flour, and cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs; sprinkle crumb topping over the batter.
- Bake in preheated oven until topping is golden brown and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 506 cal
- 20.6 g
- 75.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (46)Rate This Recipe
"There are three components to this cake - the filling, the topping and the cake itself, each as good as or better than the next. This cake is perfect and mouth-watering good in every way. I used fres..." See moreh strawberries for the filling and added water to compensate, enough so as it cooked and thickened it was about the consistency of canned cherry pie filling (which, by the way, would also make a good filling for this cake). I also added a few drops of red food coloring to give it a good, rich red color. To tell the truth, I forgot to add the lemon juice but I'm glad I did, as there is plenty of tartness in the rhubarb. That filling is so good Hubs ate it on some vanilla ice cream as I was waiting for it to cool! The cake is rich, buttery and moist. Could there be any doubt with all that butter and buttermilk? Out of this world... And the topping, ohhh, the topping - buttery, sugary, and a little crunchy. You will not find a better coffee cake. And I don't mean just Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake. I mean ANY coffee cake. Not at Starbucks. Not at Grandma's. Not anywhere. I will keep this cake in mind for the future and will love to try other fillings when strawberries or rhubarb aren't available. In the meantime, 'tis the season to make the most of strawberries and rhubarb and this is the perfect recipe for that."
"This recipe is truly wonderful. The cake turns out high and fluffy, and the strawberry/rhubarb contrast is wonderful!..." See more"
Almond Rhubarb Coffee Cake
Filled Rhubarb Coffee Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.