Italian Fresh Purple Grape Cake11 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 1 hr
- Ready In: 1 hr 30 min
“Grape cake is an ideal match for vin santo, the rich, smooth, aromatic sweet wine prepared in small quantities on many Italian estates” - by MARBALET
Original recipe yields 1 - 9 inch springform
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Generously butter and flour the 9 inch springform cake pan, tapping out any excess flour. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk, beat the eggs and sugar until thick and lemon-colored, about 3 minutes. Add the butter, oil, milk and vanilla extract, and mix until blended.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Add the lemon zest and orange zest, and toss to coat the zest with flour.
- Spoon the flour mixture into the bowl of batter and stir with a wooden spoon until thoroughly blended. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix once more. Set aside for 10 minutes to allow the flour to absorb the liquids.
- Stir in about 3/4 of the grapes into the batter. Spoon the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth out the top with a spatula.
- Place the pan in the center of the oven at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bake for 15 minutes, then sprinkle the top of the cake with the remaining grapes. Bake for about 40 minutes more, until the top is a deep golden brown and the cake feels quite firm when pressed with a fingertip.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. After 10 minutes, run a knife along the sides of the pan. Release and remove the side of the springform pan, leaving the cake on the pan base. Serve at room temperature, cut into thin wedges.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 420 cal
- 19.3 g
- 56.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (11)Rate This Recipe
"This recipe was a hit at our table. It was gone the same day and I made a new cake the next morning! I made a few changes... 1/3 cup honey instead of 2/3 cups sugar and increase milk to 2/3 cup. Yummy..." See more! Seeds from grapes add a crunshy twist..."
"WOW! Light and moist, this cake is a winner. I loved the addition of olive oil. Not too sweet, with a hint of citrus. Mmmm! Loved it. I will definitely be making it again. Incidentally, I made this ca..." See moreke to share at an interview at an olive oil company (made with their oil). They loved it, too! Hopefully, it will get me a job. :)"
Italian Cream Cake II
Fresh Coconut Layer Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.