Curried Beef with Winter Vegetables9 Reviews
- Prep: 35 min
- Cook: 1 hr 30 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 5 min
“The UK has a large Indian/Pakistani population, so curry is a popular meal where I live. I don't like hot curries, but mild ones are a nice change. This is a mild curried beef recipe with root vegetables. It's very filling and goes nicely with brown basmati rice. Chinese Five Spice is a mixture of aniseed, cinnamon, fennel, pepper, and cloves.” - by OLENAJOY
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a roasting pan with aluminum foil.
- Place the beef into a pan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a deep pot over medium-high heat. Stir in the ginger, garlic, onions, and celery, and cook until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Mix in the curry powder, coriander powder, five-spice powder, and turmeric, and toss to evenly coat the onion mixture. Cook about 5 minutes more, and stir in the carrots, parsnips, potatoes, zucchini, and apples. Stir in the beef with its cooking liquid, raisins, and cashews, and toss to evenly blend the spices.
- Pour the beef and vegetable mixture into the prepared roasting pan. Drizzle 1/2 cup water over the mixture. Cover the pan with aluminum foil.
- Bake in preheated oven until heated through, about 1 hour.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 343 cal
- 17.5 g
- 40.7 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (9)Rate This Recipe
"Great flavor and wonderful seasonings but I made a lot of revisions. First I used 2 pounds stew meat rather than 1/2, and I didn't boil the beef, I dredged it in seasoned and browned it, then set it..." See more aside. I omitted parsnips (what are parsnips anyway?) and zucchini. Rather than go through the whole roasting pan ordeal, I dumped the browned beef & 1 can of beef broth into the pot with veggies, added a cup of water put the lid on & simmered for about 1 1/2 hours. The only change I will make next time would be to add the apples about half way through, because they were a bit soggy after cooking. Other than that, it's DELICIOUS! Wasn't too spicy for my kids either."
"Delicious! I added some vegetable stock and rosemary to the chicken (I had no beef) while cooking and substituted 1 extra carrot and 1 extra potato because I had no parsnips. I left out the raisins..." See more and used peanuts too. It turned out great, but I'm sure it would have even without the adjustments. "
Honey Curried Roasted Chicken and Vegetables
Curried Beef a la Tim
Just swipe to see more like this.