Applesauce Fruitcake4 Reviews
“Fruitcake made with applesauce and maraschino cherries.” - by TEETEE
Original recipe yields 1 - 10 inch bundt pan
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (160 degrees C). Grease a 10 inch tube pan. Line bottom with parchment paper and grease again.
- In large bowl, cream sugar and shortening until light and fluffy. Add eggs and blend well.
- Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Combine 1/2 cup of flour with nuts, raisins, dates and 1/2 cup cherries, stir until coated. Set aside.
- Add remaining 2 3/4 cups flour, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, cloves and salt to egg mixture. Blend at low speed until moistened, then beat 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Fold fruit and nut mixture and applesauce into batter. Pour batter into a 10 inch tube pan. Arrange cherry halves and pecans on top.
- Bake at 325 degrees F (160 degrees C) for 1hour and 15 to 45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes clean. Cool upright in pan 5 minutes. Turn upright onto wire rack and remove pan and parchment paper. Cool completely.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 625 cal
- 28.6 g
- 90.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (4)Rate This Recipe
"I have made this recipe twice already, and everyone absolutely loves it!! I like it for the fact that there is not one bit of citron/candied fruit in it. Everything is "natural", and the added apples..." See moreauce gives the cake an excellent moist texture and taste to it. I'm not a big "cloves" or "allspice" person, so I added a "pinch" more of cinnamon, and it still came out great. I also can't eat walnuts, but added more dates, raisins and cherries to the mix, and you couldn't even notice the nuts weren't in the cake. I plan on making this cake for Christmas, and the best part is that whatever is left (which there usually isn't any) I can wrap in plastic wrap and freeze! This recipe is definitely something worth trying!! I love it!!"
Never Fail Applesauce Spice Cake
Applesauce Cake VI
Just swipe to see more like this.