Pineapple Meringue Cake7 Reviews
“Here's a great cake that combines the fluffiness of yellow cake with the crunchiness of meringue and a pineapple-whipped cream filling.” - by Chas
Original recipe yields 2 - 8 inch round cakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 8 inch round pans.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Beat well. Stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to butter mixture alternately with milk. Pour into two 8 inch round cake pans.
- Wash and dry beaters and bowl thoroughly. In a large, bowl beat egg whites, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and the rum extract until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining 1/2 cup sugar. Continue beating until stiff peaks form. Drop small spoonfuls of meringue over unbaked batter in pans, then carefully spread out to cover. Sprinkle pecans over meringue and press lightly into surface.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans for 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove from pans. Turn cake layers meringue side up and let cool thoroughly. About 1 to 2 hours before serving, make the filling: Combine whipping cream, confectioners sugar, and the remaining vanilla. Beat until soft peaks form. Fold in pineapple.
- Place one layer, meringue side up, on cake plate. Spread filling over. Place second layer on top with meringue side up. Chill 1 to 2 hours. Store in refrigerator.
Amount Per Serving (20 total)
- 163 cal
- 9.3 g
- 18.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (7)Rate This Recipe
"I made this cake for years with a recipe on the back of a cake box. I lost the recipe and it's not on the cake box any more. I was thrilled to find it here. Easy to goof on but it is so delicious, ..." See moreit's worth the care it takes to get it right. And it is beautiful. Something special happens to the cake baked with the meringue on top even though there are no whites used in the cake."
"Excellent "grown-up" cake! Kids didn't care for it, but adults all loved the cool, creamy filling and interesting blend of crunchy nuts and meringue and soft cake. Thanks!..." See more"
Pineapple Sheet Cake I
Easy Pineapple Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.