My Mom's Apple Sauce Cake31 Reviews
“My mother got this when she lived in Virginia. It's really good.” - by Geraldine
Original recipe yields 1 - 9x13 or 2 - 8 inch pans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan or 2 - 8 inch round pans.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves and allspice. set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in water and egg. Add flour mixture alternately with applesauce and mix thoroughly. Fold in nuts and raisins.
- Pour into pan and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Cool and frost with cream cheese frosting.
- To make frosting: In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add milk and vanilla and mix in. Add confectioners sugar and orange or lemon juice. Beat until fluffy, then frost cake.
Amount Per Serving (24 total)
- 312 cal
- 9.6 g
- 55.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (31)Rate This Recipe
"Love the cake. I didn't make it with rasins or walnuts cause I didn't have any and instead of 1/2 cup shortening I used 1/2 cup vegetable oil. Didn't frost it at all. The cake turned out moist the w..." See moreay I like it and my husband said it was very good also. We have a few apple trees and I make homemade applesauce often and used that. I might add homemade apple butter with the applesauce sometime."
"This recipe was a hit with my family. I served it to dinner guests and had to give out the recipe because they loved it so much. I changed a few things because I didn't have everything listed. I upped..." See more the cinn. to 1 tsp. and omitted the cloves, allspice, walnuts and raisins. I also added 2 eggs instead of one and used cinn. applesause because that's all I had on hand. I added about 4 fresh cubed macintosh apples and I didn't have the ingredients for the frosting so I coated the top with confectionary sugar. It was a big hit!!! I am making another one today and I am planning on using the frosting this time. Thanks for the great recipe!!"
Raw Apple Cake
Amazing Apple Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.